• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drinking In Public Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nj-knight

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello, I was in Hoboken, New Jersey for St. Patrick's day and received a drinking in public citation. I stepped out of the house to wait for friends to arrive on the front steps when an officer came walking up the block and cited me for having a red cup with beer. I honestly was unaware that such a thing was not allowed or otherwise I would've dumped it out, drank it or not been out there at all with it.

I know it's similar to a traffic ticket and not really a serious matter however, the ticket is accompanied by a maximum fine of $1000 which they are giving to everyone. I've already been to court once to plead not guilty, but what kind of defense do I have? The fine is excessive, especially given the economy but they don't seem to care. To them, the festivities are a nuisance and they are intent on trying to get the days events canceled or brought down to a smaller scale.

It just seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I was told due to their "zero tolerance" policy that everyone gets the $1000 fine, but that seems excessive. 2 people I know recently got the same citation in other municipalities and the fines were right around $100.

HuAi

Contact the prosecutor and ask for a plea bargan - you plead guilty in exchange for a lesser fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">