• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drinking in Public -- Should I go to court or prepay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nectarine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently got a ticket for drinking in public in Richmond, VA. I was sitting in my car, in a dark parking lot, and my friend and I took a swig out of an ounce-size mini rum bottle before we were going to get out of the car and go to a concert. A bike cop rolled up and ticketed us. My keys weren't in the ignition, and he knew I wasn't going to drive, so he only charged us with drinking in public.

The charge is pre-payable, but I'm wondering if there is a chance that the judge will dismiss it, if I go to court. I've never even been convicted of a speeding ticket before, the bottle was so small, and I didn't know I could get in trouble for what I was doing. I know it's only a class 4 misdemeanor, but I'm worried this may affect me during background checks or jobs in the school system.

What I'm really worried about is, whether, if I go to court, I might get into MORE trouble for having been in a motor vehicle.

Also, could I ask for a public defender? If so, would it be worth it?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">