• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drivers licence in one state and a State ID in another...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eddieg21az

What is the name of your state? Arizona and Nevada

I have a driver's Licence in AZ and a State ID in NV , I have residences in both places, is this legal??

H

hmmbrdzz

If both ID's are accurate and you aren't using them illegally (or in a way that could be interpretted as misuse of these ID's), then yes, I would say it's legal to have them (but I'm not an attorney). Are you concerned they aren't legal?

hmmbrdzz

L

loocpoc

Yes it is legal. I have a Wisconsin and Florida drivers license.

JETX

Yes, as long as you have only one drivers license (and the other is ID), that is okay. However, it is a violation of state laws for a person to have active drivers licenses from more than one state.

For example, Wisconsin requires you to surrender your out of state license when you get a WI license. From WI DOT:
"In addition to surrendering your out-of-state license, you must provide one acceptable proof of identity document which has your signature or photograph. If you do not have a valid out-of-state license, you must also provide a certified birth certificate or passport."
Source: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/nonreside/oos-license.htm

And in Florida, only part-time residents get to keep their out of state license:
"Part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only."
Source: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/geninfo.html

Texas:
"You must also surrender your out-of-state license."
Source: http://austin.about.com/library/weekly/aa052200b.htm

L

loocpoc

I have a part time Florida license only cause I own property down there. My WI license is because WI is my state of residence. I also have a federal drivers license!!

E

eddieg21az

Loocpoc .. how or where did you get your Federal license ? That is of more interest to me than just a reg one.

JETX

Loocpoc, what are you smoking??

First, there is no such thing as a 'part time' Florida license. You either have a residence license (and must surrender your other state license) or you have a temporary (Florida Only) license. These FACTS are clearly shown on the state license pages cited in my earlier post.

As for your claims of a 'federal drivers license', there is no such thing. Though there has been some legislation proposed to create a national (federal) drivers license (as an anti-terrorism tool and to control immigration), there is no such thing at this time.

For more on the PROPOSED license, go to:
http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/DLs/DL006.htm
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0909/news-license-09-09-02.asp
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/newswire/national/2002/06/17/16987.htm

So, you either have an illegal full-time license for both states, or you have a few of those fake licenses (including the 'federal' one that you can buy at the flea markets.

And if you still contend your 'federal' license it is real, what federal agency issued it and how about a link to the issuing agency.

Last edited:
L

loocpoc

I have a Florida license and have had one for several years. Part time resident licenses are the same as the temp ones that are for use in Florida only, it is mainly given to residents who spend a minimum of 90 days in Florida.

As far as my federal license, as a Federal employee, I drive a Federal law enforcement vehicle (an unmarked 99 crown vic with all the bells and whistles) and have a federal drivers license. Its issued only to federal employees who drive federal vehicles for federal duty.

Iam not "smoking" anything Jetx..

Last edited:

JETX

"Its issued only to federal employees who drive federal vehicles for federal duty."
Sorry, but there is no such thing as a 'FEDERAL" drivers license. I have family and friends in FBI, DOJ and Treasury and NONE of them have heard of a FEDERAL drivers license!

Hell, even the military, driving much bigger and badder vehicles than you claim to have (a THREE year old car!!), don't have 'special' FEDERAL drivers licenses!! And maybe, postal carriers get these 'special' FEDERAL drivers licenses for when they get to drive the little jeeps with "all the bells and whistles".

I can see it now:
Officer: "Sir, can I see your license and registration?"
You: "I have this FEDERAL drivers license, and it gives me the right to drive ANYWHERE in the US with full immunity from licensing laws."
Officer: "Sir, can I please see a VALID drivers license?"

As for the Florida license, I have already provided PROOF that they only issue two types of licenses, either resident (FULL TIME) or "In Florida Only". If you do not live there full-time and have a 'resident' license, you are in violation of FL statutes.

"322.03 Drivers must be licensed; penalties.--
(1) Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver's license under the provisions of this chapter.
(b) A person who does not drive a commercial motor vehicle is not required to surrender a license issued by another jurisdiction, upon a showing to the department that such license is necessary because of employment or part-time residence. Any person who retains a driver's license because of employment or part-time residence shall, upon qualifying for a license in this state, be issued a driver's license which shall be valid within this state only. All surrendered licenses may be returned by the department to the issuing jurisdiction together with information that the licensee is now licensed in a new jurisdiction or may be destroyed by the department, which shall notify the issuing jurisdiction of such destruction. A person may not have more than one valid Florida driver's license at any time."
Source: http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0322/ch0322.htm

'This non resident drivers license is for use only in the State of Florida. When you travel outside of Florida, you will be operating on your Out of State License. You will not be considered a resident of Florida, and may not be eligible for some rights and privileges of Florida Residents."
http://www.suwanneecountytax.com/dl.htm

Oh, and the reason that most (if not all) states restrict your having multiple state licenses is so that a habitual violator can't have multiple records in an attempt to avoid accountability.

L

loocpoc

I would like to know how many of these "highspeed" vehicles that DoD has which arent under 20 years old. Probably the only cars DoD have which are not under 20 years old belong to either a GSA lease or are assigned to a General.

As far as my Florida license.. The state knows I have it and have never said anything ANYTIME Ive been there.

A federal driver's license is an OF-346 US Governement form. All EMPLOYEES of the government driving GOVERNMENT vehicles get one.

I got this from a DoD website:

29-4. SUSPENSION OF PRIVILEGES TO OPERATE A GOVERNMENT MOTOR
VEHICLE.

(1) The supervisor will direct the employee to refrain from driving a government motor vehicle until further notice. The employee will perform only the other duties of his position. Individuals who are full time drivers or who spend a substantial part of their workday driving will, of necessity, be temporarily detailed by the supervisor to perform duties other than driving.

(2) If the employee has been issued a Government Motor Vehicle Operators Identification Card (OF 346), the supervisor will initiate an immediate request to suspend the OF 346 in accordance with established installation procedures.

I got this from the Dept. of The Interior Website:

Department of the Interior

Departmental Manual

Effective Date: 3/12/99

Series: Safety Management

Part 485: Safety and Occupational Health Program

Chapter 16: Motor Vehicle Safety

Originating Office: Office of Managing Risk and Public Safety

485 DM 16

16.1 Purpose. To specify the minimum Safety and Occupational Health Program (Program) requirements for the safe operation of over-the-road type motor vehicles for the Department of the Interior.

16.2 References.

A. Section 211(j) of the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949 as amended [68 Stat. 1128].

B. 40 U.S. Code Section 491(j).

C. Federal Personnel Manual (FPM) Chapter 930, Subpart 1, Motor Vehicle Operations, and Chapter A, Physical Standards for Motor Vehicle Operators and Incidental Operators.

D. 49 CFR Part 383, Commercial Driver's License Standards; Requirements and Penalties.

16.3 Requirements. Each bureau will establish requirements for the safe operation of motor vehicles that include the following, as a minimum:

A. Provide a system for restricting motor vehicle operations to qualified and authorized persons. (The use of the United States Government Motor Vehicle Operator's Identification Card, Optional Form 346, is optional.)

B. Require a Federal employee who regularly operates a Government, rental, or privately-owned motor vehicle for the Department or a contractor employee who regularly operates a Government motor vehicle for the Department to:

(1) Possess a valid state/international license for the class of vehicle being operated. (He/She must notify his/her employer if his/her driver's license is suspended, revoked, canceled, or he/she has been otherwise disqualified from holding a license.) Bureaus that transport school-age children must require drivers to be licensed in accordance with regulations administered by the Federal Highway Administration and the States wherein the children are transported.

(2) Have his/her supervisor's approval to operate the vehicle. (Supervisor is to establish that the employee has the ability to operate the vehicle safely in the operational environment assigned.)

(3) Be at least 18 years old.

(4) Have his/her driving record validated by the State (international-licensed drivers exempted) and/or National Driver Register upon employment and whenever management deems it advisable to review.

C. Require Federal and contractor employees who infrequently operate sedans and other light motor vehicles to meet conditions B(1), B(2) and B(3) above. Condition B4) is also recommended, but at the bureau's option.

D. In addition to 16.3B, require a person who drives commercial motor vehicles (having either a gross vehicle weight (GVW) rating of more than 26,000 pounds, towing a vehicle with a 10,000 pound or more GVW rating, hauling hazardous material requiring the vehicle to be placarded, or operating a vehicle designed to transport 15 or more people including the driver) for the Department to:

(1) Possess only one commercial driver's license.

(2) Possess a valid medical examiner's certificate, if required by his/her State of domicile or location of employment.

(3) Be at least 21 years old.

(4) Notify his/her employer if his/her driver's license is suspended, revoked, canceled, or he/she has been disqualified from holding a State/international license.

(5) Notify his/her employer if convicted of any traffic violation other than illegal parking.

E. Require a driver and all passengers to use the provided safety belts at all times when the motor vehicle is in motion, on or off the highway.

F. Provide drivers initial and refresher training as necessary for them to operate safely. Also inform them of the potential penalties (See 49 CFR 383 and 391) for failure to operate motor vehicles in a safe and lawful manner.

G. Investigate and analyze vehicle accidents related to Departmental operations and take appropriate action to minimize them.

H. Report Department-related accidents as required in Chapter 7.

I. Include appropriate safety features in purchase orders and lease agreements for non-General Services Administration vehicles.

J. Inspect and maintain motor vehicles in a safe, operable condition.

Last edited:

JETX

Damn, you can't even tell the difference between an IDENTITY card and a drivers license, and you call me 'stupid'. Hell, even your own post calls it a "Government Motor Vehicle Operators Identification Card".

All this card does is show that you are AUTHORIZED to be driving that government owned vehicle. It is NOT a drivers license!!

BTW, the OF means it is an OPTIONAL FORM!! Further showing that it has no legal standing!!

This is from the US Dept of Interior:
"16.3 Requirements. Each bureau will establish requirements for the safe operation of motor vehicles that include the following, as a minimum:
A. Provide a system for restricting motor vehicle operations to qualified and authorized persons. (The use of the United States Government Motor Vehicle Operator's Identification Card, Optional Form 346, is optional.)
B. Require a Federal employee who regularly operates a Government, rental, or privately-owned motor vehicle for the Department or a contractor employee who regularly operates a Government motor vehicle for the Department to:
(1) Possess a valid state/international license for the class of vehicle being operated. (He/She must notify his/her employer if his/her driver's license is suspended, revoked, canceled, or he/she has been otherwise disqualified from holding a license.) Bureaus that transport school-age children must require drivers to be licensed in accordance with regulations administered by the Federal Highway Administration and the States wherein the children are transported."
NOTE the requirement above for a VALID STATE/INTERNATIONAL drivers license!!

You were obviously trying to 'puff' your authority and got caught in a lie. Take it as a man and admit it. Continuing to try to justify your lie when you are already caught only makes it worse!!

S

Say What?

JETX said:
You were obviously trying to 'puff' your authority and got caught in a lie. Take it as a man and admit it. Continuing to try to justify your lie when you are already caught only makes it worse!!
=============

That is loocpoc's typical modus operendi.

loocpoc is full of loocpoop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">