• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on Revoked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spree-

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I will try to make this quick and to the point.

I recently was convicted on my Second DUI. My licensed was suspended for 3years. Hard suspension for 1 year.

I went to the DMV to get an identification card as I was getting out of the Military so I needed some other form of ID. When I went to the DMV I checked the Identification Box, when I received the card, they had issued me a Driver's License. I asked the DMV if this was correct as I was under the impression my license had been suspended. They showed no record of it being suspended and that if it was in fact suspended I would be notified of this. So I continued to drive, a couple weeks went by I was coming home from work one night late and an officer I guess had decided to run my plates and proceeded to pull me over. He stated that my license was suspended, I gave him my explanation of course and he understood but still had a job to do and arrested me. I was of course cooperative with the officer.

I have a preliminary hearing tomorrow and was wondering if I have a leg to stand on at all. I definitely would not have been driving had I not been under the impression that I still had a valid drivers license.

I was also under the impression that this was a misdemeanor as it was my first offense, but was charged with a Class U Felony. code 46.2.391 I thought it should have been code 46.2.301 after doing some research but I am not a lawyer. It is listed as endangerment, but I didn't endanger anyone.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

FlyingRon

Just because you have a physical license means squat. You knew your license was revoked.

391 appears to be the CORRECT section to apply (you were revoked for DUI second offense). The prosecution will have to make a compelling argument for endangerment for it to be a felony. It should be a class 1 misdemeanor (which is bad enough). You need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">