• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with a suspended license in Kansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NebLegalProbs

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Here's the deal: Back in September I received a DWI in Nebraska and have since had my license suspended for just under 2 months now and am on my way to completing my 6 months of probation. At the beginning of this month I took a trip down to Texas with a close friend. When returning from Texas my friend became exhausted of driving, so I told him I would drive for a while to allow him to sleep and avoid any risk of him falling asleep at the wheel. After driving for a while I was pulled over for speeding in Wichita, KS by highway patrol. After learning that my license was suspended the officer wrote me a warning for speeding and a citation for driving with a suspended license. He made my friend take over driving for the remainder of the trip and let us go. After some research online I found that this charge is a class B non-person misdemeanor in Kansas but I cannot seem to find out what sort of punishment I am facing. I plan to plea guilty considering there is no denying that my license is suspended in Nebraska. My first question is can anyone tell me what I can expect?

A small bit of information that I didn't mention above is that the citation has a phone number on it that I had to call to determine how to take care of this issue. I called this number a couple days ago and found out that I am expected to show up in Wichita, KS (5 1/2 hours away) for my court appearance or I have to get ahold of the Kansas DA office to talk to them about alternatives. The obvious choice being the later, I still have to call down there today to talk to someone down there about representing me in court on the 2nd of next month. My other question is does it sound unreasonable to anyone else that the court appearance has to happen in the first place? I've had friends that have had MIP's in Kansas yet they just had to mail a check down there and *poof*... the problem is gone. Minor's drinking is a far more hazardous crime to the public and the minor than driving on a suspended license.

Any help or advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">