• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justapassenger

what to do now?

What is the name of your state? pa
I was a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped in someone's driveway. The police pulled in behind and ordered myself and the other two people out of the car. There were drugs found both in and outside of the car. I was the only one charged with them. I have never been in any trouble before. The public defender forced me against my will to take a plea agreement. I missed the sentencing hearing to confirm that plea this date was just short of one year ago. There is no warrant and I have now been rescheduled for trial. What can I do to resolve this situation without paying for a crime I did not commit?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

justapassenger said:
What is the name of your state? pa
I was a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped in someone's driveway. The police pulled in behind and ordered myself and the other two people out of the car. There were drugs found both in and outside of the car. I was the only one charged with them. I have never been in any trouble before. The public defender forced me against my will to take a plea agreement. I missed the sentencing hearing to confirm that plea this date was just short of one year ago. There is no warrant and I have now been rescheduled for trial. What can I do to resolve this situation without paying for a crime I did not commit?

**A: so let's get the story straight. You were sitting in a car with 2 other people who you did not know. The cops came and you got busted even when you did not have any drugs on you or around you? And you have no criminal record?
So, do we have the correct story thus far?

justapassenger

The people I was in the car with I had met before and they showed up at a friend of mine's home where I was trying to get a ride home from. They said they didnt mind and I was unaware that they would have any drugs on them. Other than that you've gotten the story right so far.

ENASNI

Sorry...

There has to be more..
They just said C-ya to the other guys... we just want this one... and pointed to you?

I missed the sentencing hearing to confirm that plea this date was just short of one year ago. There is no warrant and I have now been rescheduled for trial. What can I do to resolve this situation without paying for a crime I did not commit?

What do you mean you missed the sentencing hearing??

How do you know there is no warrant... who Have you been talking with.

Where is the public defender now?

justapassenger

We were all taken to the police station but I was charged I suppose in hopes that I would be able to implicate one or the other of the guys in the car. When I didnt know who the drugs actually belonged to I got stuck with the charges. As far as missing the sentencing hearing I sprained my ankle on the way to get the bus to the courthouse. I called the courthouse right away to see if I should still come that day despite being late. I was told by someone at the courthouse they would have someone call me and tell me what I needed to do. I was told this four more times that day. I remained in Pa for a few more days and continued to call the courthouse everyday and was always told the same thing. I live in Virginia and had to get back to work so after a few days of not hearing anything I went home. Fearing that they didnt call back because they had already issued a warrant I stopped calling. It is now a year later and I wantd to get the matter cleared up and I called the courthouse. Was told that by some oversight a warrant had never been issued. As for the public defender I dont want to use him because I had originally wanted to plead not guilty and he insisted that I shouldnt it would be better for me to just take the plea whether I had committed the crime or not. So I have spent the past few days trying to find a decent lawyer that I can afford.

Last edited:

Bravo8

The PD cannot force you to accept the plea, although I have certainly seen them try to bully people into it.

Speak to a competent attorney who practices law in Pennsylvania, and tell him or her that you would like to change your plea. I don't know if it's possible at this stage in the game, but it's worth asking the question.

As for your story, I don't buy it. If they wanted you to implicate the other two, why did they not just arrest them? They must have had probable cause to arrest you, so something is missing from your account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">