• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug testing in correctional center

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Neenie

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have a son in one of the Missouri correctioal centers. They do random drug test. The inmates never know when they will take place. One of my son's friends had one and it came back negative on all the differnt drugs, but it said possiable deluted. How can it be deluted, the guard stands there and watches the inmate urine in the bottle, so how can they say it's deluted. This friend got 10 days in the hole for this test. I can understand if the inmate had dirty urine, but is there a thing as to clean.

Thanks

Last edited:

racer72

Most UA's, besides testing for illegal drugs, now test for substances that can alter drug tests. If there was no cause for the item to be in his system, he is as guilty as if he used the drug.

N

Neenie

The way I understand it they are trying to say he drank to much water, now how could you even know they were going to test you. There is no way you could get anything in there to change a drug test. I wonder how you can fight this in court. It's crazy if you ask me.

Thanks

H

hmmbrdzz

Neenie: You say "this is crazy". You're right -- it is crazy. It's prison. You cannot fight this in court and would be beating your head against the wall to even think about doing so one more second. Inmates become very adept at getting illegal drugs and alcohol in prison (and everything else considered "contraband"). I worked in the system when drug testing could only be performed under a "doctors order". Now that randoms are in place and the CO's have authority to perform them, the drug problem in prison (which is a huge problem for the staff) is finally on the decline.

Inmates (and others) get all kinds of illegal drugs or contraband into the prison. Inmates retain the contraband usually within their body cavities (in the rectum). Body searches can only be performed in VERY rare circumstances. When one is suspected of holding something in a body cavity, a doctor's order has to be written to contain the inmate in a cell without a toilet so that the suspected contraband can be eliminated.

Inmates even make their own moonshine in prison (called "buck") out of sugar and potato skins that they layer and let "age", usually in biohazard bags. It's truly unbelievable the lengths they go to to "use" while incarcerated and what they resort to to get high and avoid penelty. Visitation rights, while they are highly monitored by CO's, is still is not a fool proof system to keep drugs out of prison. You're dealing with pros. Have you ever seen a "contraband" museum at a state prison? You might be very interested.

Your son could have drunk a gallon of water upon being suspicious that he was going to get tested, and that random is going to pick it up. These random tests are not unfair and they are accurate and give false positives only VERY rarely.

hmmbrdzz

N

Neenie

drug test

I do understand what you are saying about drugs in the prisons. It's also true that some of it's brought in by the guards. After all they don't get paid much and it's a way to make money. I would think you would have to drink a gallon of water everyday because there is no way to know when you would get one. My son doesn't use drugs , but he has told me you can get them there faster than you can on the street, pretty sad if you ask me.
Neenie

H

hmmbrdzz

Your son is right. CO's (and other staff members) do sometimes get "caught up" with ONE error they may make regards an inmate -- from anything to letting one have an extra cookie for a bedtime snack to letting one bum a cigarette to letting one talk you into bringing a joint or a beer to him for which he'll pay you $50.00. But there are a lot of good people that work for the prison system. They've got to keep up with the best cons on the planet and do so exactly by policy.

Visit your son often, if you can, and encourage him to abide by all the rules whenver and however you have contact with him -- be it by mail, by phone, or visitation. Even if he gets unjustly popped on a hot UA and gets thrown into the hole for 10 days, encourage him to do his time as uneventfully as possible. The CO's KNOW, as do all other staff members, which inmates are not trouble makers and which ones are. If your son is not a trouble maker in prison, his chances will be much greater when it comes to "getting along" with the ones who can make his life a little more comfortable and safe.

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

N

Neenie

drug testing

What do you do for a living?? I noticed you answer a lot of these post??? It seems you know a lot about the law.

H

hmmbrdzz

I'm just an old nurse who learned a lot when I worked for the prison -- about people, about people who break laws, about lawsuits, about protective orders, and about what can get you in trouble and what can keep you out of trouble and make life easier!

hmmbrdzz

N

Neenie

Well I owen my owen business and make good money. Our family had never ever had any dealing with the law, but I will tell you the law is not about the truth, and it's more of a money thing than anything. As for lawyers most of them are a joke. After paying about $300,000.00 I finally found three that did what I was paying them to do, how every my son was done in prison. You might find that if you ever do have any dealings with the law, and I would not wish that on any one, it's a lot differnt than you think. I was one of those people that thought ever one was guilty, well this has changed my mind, I think maybe it's Gods way of showing me I should not judge any one.

N

Neenie

Our family owens a Fabrication business, what does that have to do with my question???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">