• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk in public/litering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RandomGuy101

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I went about five blocks down the street to go to my local bar. At about 1:00 I went outside to use an ATM, after pulling the money out i threw the receipt on the ground. An officer behind me yelled at me to pick it up, I looked at the ground and there were about five receipts, I looked at him and showed him the receipt and asked if that was all. He looked at me very agrilly and told me "yes, next time litter in your own neighborhood." I said "This is my neighborhood I live down the street." He said "That's it." I got handcuffed and spent three hours in a cell. I then got handed a citation for littering and a sitation for public drunkenness which said I was "intoxicated to the degree that he may indanger himself or other persons or property or anoy persons in his vicinity."

I have to go to court for this. I am wondering if the judge is going to call me an idiot or if it is worth me getting a lawyer. Also would I be elligible for a public defender. I realize I was stupid to tell the officer that it was my neighborhood but now I have to deal with this stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

Also I am going to be out of town towards the end of July. I am wondering if I am able to get a court date scheduled around that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You most likely wouldn't qualify for a public defender. You smarted off to a police officer. NOT smart. You can always force it to trial but expect for the judge to think you are an idiot for doing that -- getting smart at 1:00 with a guy with a gun.

EspressoMilitia

well, according to what you told us, you were littering and intoxicated and saying things that annoyed someone, so those charges are appropriate.

My guess is that the system is set up for you to say what happened, say you're sorry to all involved, and pay a fine. If you're a jerk, it could end up worse.

And you are sorry, right? The cop was just trying to stop someone from throwing trash on the floor, and someone starts giving him sass. Nobody likes sass and nobody likes trashy looking floors.

BL

well, according to what you told us, you were littering and intoxicated and saying things that annoyed someone, so those charges are appropriate.

My guess is that the system is set up for you to say what happened, say you're sorry to all involved, and pay a fine. If you're a jerk, it could end up worse.

And you are sorry, right? The cop was just trying to stop someone from throwing trash on the floor, and someone starts giving him sass. Nobody likes sass and nobody likes trashy looking floors.
I don't know , some people don't mind trash , and some people like sass , even though it's not respectable .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">