• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dubious Offshore Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrDiamond

Hi. I'm a software engineer in the State of New York. An offshore company hired me to construct a numeric computation program. It looks harmless enough - mostly statistical work, so I never asked for the program is for. If the offshore company is doing something illegal with the program, or the data computed by the program, am I criminally liable?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MrDiamond said:
Hi. I'm a software engineer in the State of New York. An offshore company hired me to construct a numeric computation program. It looks harmless enough - mostly statistical work, so I never asked for the program is for. If the offshore company is doing something illegal with the program, or the data computed by the program, am I criminally liable?
My response:

Contact the Bureau of Export Sales, a department of the Commerce Department, in Washington, D.C. They have booklets and guidelines concerning whom, and how much, you may deal with abroad. Their booklets detail the laws, and all restrictions or bans that may affect you.

Without your knowledge, you may, in fact, be selling to a shell company that has been set up by an "enemy" nation. Also, remember, if this is the case, "ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense" and you might wind up in hot soup. So, check first.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">