• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E-mail Hacking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steve Hammond

My wife and I are getting a divorce, I found an e-mail account in her name. I asked for a new password and was given one by answering the questions the web site required. When I went into the account I found some really good evidence that I can use to support my claims of her instability. Can I use this information? but more important than that, can I get into trouble by accessing her account? There is a restraining order against me, Which states I am not suppose to contact her or the kids, go to their school or to the family home. Nothing says I can't access the e-mail account. Should I use the information which will incriminate me in the use of her e-mail account, but will establish my case. I know it's illegal to open anothers U.S. Mail but do the same laws apply to e-mail? This situtation applies to Washington State laws

[This message has been edited by Steve Hammond (edited October 13, 2000).]

D

DrunkN_MastR

hmmm... cyber laws are still not concrete in some people's minds... for this you are definitely gonna need professional advice I suggest talkin to your attourney if you don't already have one set a meeting with one and tell him bout this

T

Tracey

The most you could be charged with is computer trespass. Frankly, the prosecutor has better things to do with her time than get sucked into a custody dispute. Plus, the jails are too full. Also, I think the 'victim' would have to be the email provider, since they own the data base.

RCW 9A.52.120
Computer trespass in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of computer trespass in the second degree if the person, without authorization, intentionally gains access to a computer system or electronic data base of another under circumstances not constituting the offense in the first degree.

(2) Computer trespass in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.
[First degree means you accessed computer with intent to commit another crime or accessed a government data base.]

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">