• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early Parole?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joanna93

My husband's trouble making brother is in prison in Hartwell, Georgia for statutory rape. Prior to his conviction he was incarcerted for 15 months while awaiting trial. In May 2000 he was sentenced to 10 years with credit for time already served. Two days ago my husband received a letter from the Georgia Dept. of Parole and Probation asking him to fill our several forms for his parole hearing! We got a letter from my brother-in-law saying that some of the charges had been dropped and he could possibly be getting out by Christmas!! Would charges actually be dropped AFTER the trial is over? Would they really be considering him for parole already? Whe he was sentenced we were so relieved he was finally going to pay for his crimes and looking forward to a peaceful 10 years without him!

R

Ray H

Hard to say. It's possible that his lawyer got some sentencing reduced. Given the overcrowding problem in U.S. prisons, many inmates are being released to early parole for non violent crimes. Remember that statutory rape is sex with a *consenting* minor. Also remember that you're under no obligation to sign and return those papers. In fact you may want to get some face-to-face legal advice before doing so. There's a possibility that you'd be, in effect, signing off on "sponsoring" the guy's parole.

This is general advice, NOT legal advice. I am NOT a lawyer. Your are NOT my client.

Joanna93

Thank you for your advice Ray H. We certainly do not intend on sponsoring him if and when he is released, so we will get some advice from an attorney before filling out those papers. But that does make me think of another question. He is in Georgia and we are in Maryland, when he is released wouldn't he have to remain in GA to report to his parole/probation officer? I'm just hoping!

R

Ray H

Even if he stays in Georgia, I'd still be leery about putting signature to paper, unless your attorney can assure you that you wouldn't be liable for anything the fellow does while on parole. Like I said, I'm not a lawyer, but my gut feeling is you have more to lose than gain if you're not careful on this one.

Joanna93

Thank you again Ray H! We took your advice and have contacted an attorney and have an appointment next week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">