• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elder abuse/ theft from supposed friends NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Akita

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My mother died last summer.
One of my elderly father's friends was supposed to be helping him pack up the house to move into assisted living. The first day that I wasn't there. she pretty much stole $8000 worth of household goods. She took all the decorative items, all the small furniture, my mother's jewelry, cosmetics, family photographs? (don't understand that at all, I wonder if she has mental problems?) Some of the neighbors saw her, but they thought she was doing what she was supposed to be doing, which was packing stuff to go to the consignment store. She told my father I took all the things. He's old and fragile and forgetful, she stole him blind.
He didn't want me to press charges, he really needed the money the sale of the household items would have brought. I don't have the woman's phone number or know exactly where she lives. Can I swear out a warrant if I don't know her address? How long do I have before the statute of limitations runs out? I don't want her doing this to anybody else, but I don't want my dad getting upset with me at this stage in his life.
Thanks,
Akita

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My mother died last summer.
One of my elderly father's friends was supposed to be helping him pack up the house to move into assisted living. The first day that I wasn't there. she pretty much stole $8000 worth of household goods. She took all the decorative items, all the small furniture, my mother's jewelry, cosmetics, family photographs? (don't understand that at all, I wonder if she has mental problems?) Some of the neighbors saw her, but they thought she was doing what she was supposed to be doing, which was packing stuff to go to the consignment store. She told my father I took all the things. He's old and fragile and forgetful, she stole him blind.
He didn't want me to press charges, he really needed the money the sale of the household items would have brought. I don't have the woman's phone number or know exactly where she lives. Can I swear out a warrant if I don't know her address? How long do I have before the statute of limitations runs out? I don't want her doing this to anybody else, but I don't want my dad getting upset with me at this stage in his life.
Thanks,
Akita

There are two problems here:

1. Your father is the one who has to make the decisions.

and

2. She took the goods with Dad's permission

Akita

Let me re-phrase that. She was supposed to be packing things for the consignment store truck to pick up. Nobody told her she could take anything out of the house. She deliberately waited until I wasn't there to stop her. And she took some of the boxes that I had specifically said were for the consignment store. My Mother made a point of telling my dad that everything in the house was mine before she died, so even though he had possession, it was MY stuff that she took. I need the money to help him pay his bills.
I don't think he told her she could take anything. He would NEVER have given her my Mom's jewelry or any of the family photos. The lady immediately went on vacation after they took all the stuff, I guess she thought I would have calmed down by the time they got back.
It's still elder abuse.
Akita

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Let me re-phrase that. She was supposed to be packing things for the consignment store truck to pick up. Nobody told her she could take anything out of the house. She deliberately waited until I wasn't there to stop her. And she took some of the boxes that I had specifically said were for the consignment store. My Mother made a point of telling my dad that everything in the house was mine before she died, so even though he had possession, it was MY stuff that she took. I need the money to help him pay his bills.
I don't think he told her she could take anything. He would NEVER have given her my Mom's jewelry or any of the family photos. The lady immediately went on vacation after they took all the stuff, I guess she thought I would have calmed down by the time they got back.
It's still elder abuse.
Akita
WRONG. Doesn't matter what your mom stated. Unless there was a will giving it to you, it was your dad's stuff. YOU had nothing. Your father needs to file a criminal complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">