• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

elderly fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alex38

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Hello, as short as I can make it... Is there anything I can do if I think my in-laws are a victim of fraud when the perpetrator happens to be a close friend and my in-laws wont press charges? (what if they want to press charges) In short, this woman has been borrowing money from my in-laws retirement fund over the past two years or more, totaling over $56,000! She has used lies and deceite to get my in-laws to easily drain the money from their retirement account to give her the money she claimed she needed so bad. This woman had promised she would be able to repay the debt (with interest!) because she said she was due a large insurance settlement. Insurance settlement never came, and through many excuses later (court cancelations, delays, etc) we believe there never really was a court settlement, or if there ever was one, she surely must have spent the money (hence, all the excuses and delays in her court case) She refuses to prove she has a court case for this settlement, She has been convicted of check fraud in the past and is on probation/parole for this conviction. she has had known gambling problems (possibly addiction) and is a habitual liar. My in-laws are kind, trusting and to be honest, quite gullible. I believe they have been "taken" and yet, they still believe she will one day return the money. Most recently, I found out this woman has warrant out for her arrest (for some sort of parole violation)

Is there anything I can do without my in-laws consent..or even with their consent They do not wish to "hurt" her but are fast becomeing scared and frustrated that they may never get their money back. We on the other hand KNOW this woman is a liar, a cheat and has "stolen" my parents money. Please help.. Inlaws already struggle to get by, they are elderly and handicapped (deaf). We dont have the financial resources to pursue a legal suit either. Any advice will help.

Thank you. Sorry for the long post :)

Alex

Last edited:

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi Alex: This will be a good starting place, the Minn. State Dept of Human Servcies. You can visit this site and/or call these people and tell them what's up and request their assistance. Tell them everything you know about this woman's record, her parole, arrests, her history with your in-laws, etc.

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/Agingint/Services/adultpsu.htm

If you know this woman's first and last name, you can also call and/or visit this site and do the same. It's the Minnesota's Department of Correction / Parole. They will also assist you.

http://www.corr.state.mn.us/

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">