• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elizabeth Smart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmosMoses

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a strange feeling about Elizabeth Smart's father? I don't know if it seems to me like he is "grandstanding", or trying to force out emotions that he doesn't truly feel, or if I am imagining something that isn't there, but I really get a strange feeling listening to him following this child's miraculous recovery. I don't know how he is "supposed" to act in this situation, but does anyone else seem to notice anything strange about him?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AmosMoses said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a strange feeling about Elizabeth Smart's father? I don't know if it seems to me like he is "grandstanding", or trying to force out emotions that he doesn't truly feel, or if I am imagining something that isn't there, but I really get a strange feeling listening to him following this child's miraculous recovery. I don't know how he is "supposed" to act in this situation, but does anyone else seem to notice anything strange about him?

My response:

You know, it's strange, but I mentioned the same thing to Mrs. Liable. I sincerely tried to empathize with Mr. Smart, and listened intently while this father found and used his seemingly well-deserved soapbox. But, throughout, I got strange feelings about him too.

Who knows, maybe it's just his "style", but it appeared to me that his were crocodile tears. I certainly hope not. Perhaps it's just the overall strange situation of the kidnapping itself.

I can't pin it down.

IAAL

Son of Slam

Re: Re: Elizabeth Smart

Myself and Mrs. Slam thought it strange that Mrs. Smart brings home weirdos to play house with Mr. Smart. With a home like they owen we thought work would be done by a contractor, not a con transient.

AmosMoses

I think IAAL EXACTLY explains my sentiments here when he says "I can't pin it down". I don't know what it is, but something bothers me with this guy!

H

hmmbrdzz

I think the father is strange; I think it's strange they allowed freaks and convicts in the home, and I think it's strange that Elizabeth (15 years old and well-educated) didn't say a word to anyone or even attempt to get away the entire time.
I think it's strange that Mr. Smart keeps referring to the
10 yr. daughter as his hero, but then again -- maybe what appears to be overinflated emotion is nothing more than extreme gratitude.

AmosMoses -- I bet the DNA analysis on Carrie Yoder will come back "serial killer". How many is that now?

hmmbrdzz

I

ibfree2b

mr. smart

It's Mrs. Smart I think is wierd. Nobody ever asks about her, nobody asks what she did and felt when her daughter came back and she seems to refuse to come out and say how relieved she is to have her daughter back and thank those responsible for her return.

AmosMoses

hmmbrdzz

I think that this makes three or four, I haven't really followed the local news very closely lately, I am ashamed to say. Now, that's not to say that this guy has not killed and dumped some women that are much less likely to be really missed....prostitutes. I am not far at all from BR, and I must say it does have me somewhat concerned about my female friends and relatives. I just hope that they get this SOB soon.

I do agree with you about Ms. Yoder likely dieing at the same hands. I hope she is the last one, but I have concerns. Stranger on stranger crime is difficult to solve short of a lucky break by law enforcement; a witness seeing something of value, a family member of this guy turning him in (you just know in so many of these psycho serial murderer cases that many family members know about it but convince themselves otherwise), or the very best of luck would be him catching a bullet from an intended victim. Once he gets the victim in a vehicle and away to do God-only-knows-what at his liesure, well, he's hard to tie to the crime ID wise. If they suspect him, tying him to the crime is one thing with today's impressive forensics, but lots of physical evidence with no perpetrator to match it to is of little value at that time. What I do and will continue to tell anyone is NEVER let anyone abduct you without raising every bit of hell you can....scream, cuss, rant, rave, holler, make a hell of a fuss regardless of threats of shooting/stabbing/whatever "if you don't shut up and get in the car now, I'll kill you! I won't hurt you though, if you just hget in here now!". NEVER fall for that crap! If he's gonna kill you, he'll do it later anyway, and it will only be MUCH more horrible, you can believe that. Noise and a ruckus is a big enemy to this guy's success. Your best chance if not only is to raise hell. It's not guaranteed, but it's the only way to go!!

H

hmmbrdzz

I agree totally with the screaming and kicking and biting and doing whatever to make a big noise. There was an abduction here last year from a pharmacy parking lot -- a lady and her 3 mo. old baby, walking to their car. Husband was still inside the pharmacy. Broad daylight. Two days later, her body (she had been bludgeoned to death) was discovered in a field off the main road. Miraculously -- the baby was right beside her and still alive. Her abductor was a crack addict. Random abduction. Needed money and a ride. They got him.

I watched Larry King last night, where Patty Hearst and the family members of the kidnappers were interviewed, and I just thought "what a strange, freakin bunch of people".

hmmbrdzz

Rochelle

Yeah, her parents are "odd" to say the least. As far as Elizabeth's not crying out or attempting to gain help.......take into consideration that this is a child from an obviously affluent home. Children brought up in this more protected environment lack the "street sense" that children from less wealthy homes develope. It's quite likely that she believed him if he said he'd go back and kill her family if she tried to escape, even given the fact that at 14 she should have known better. And then, there's the Stockholm Syndrome.

It does bother me that her parents brought home this person, and allowed him to be around their young daughters. But there is no law saying that they can't do that. I just hope Elizabeth goes on to become a stable, confident adult, and that this horrible period in her life doesn't hold her back.

djohnson

I'm glad someone else has these thoughts. I feel the same way and I still think there is a lot more to this story than is being told at this point. I posted that under the last Elizabeth Smart posting and others interpretted it as being 'death hungry' and blaming victims and other bull. I would also still like to know why when questioned by police so many times Elizabeth never said her name. Not even this time when they were caught and no one was in there with her but the police. I understand there may have been some 'brainwashing' but I still believe that it is odd.

AmosMoses

I hate to sound too flaky,

but if I didn't know better, and have confidence that the cops would have some idea about this by now, I would almost be questioning his involvement considering the multi-million dollar offers they are presently swamped with along with Mr. Smart's claims that they will "sort through the offers in the coming weeks". I only say that due to his oh-so-strange behavior and commentary. . . a very strange bird indeed!

AmosMoses

Now, Mr. Smart is...

....voicing concern that "certain questions" may "emotionally scar" Elizabeth, or something to that effect. I have to wonder which questions he is concerned about. Boy, this guy!!

AmosMoses

hmmbrdzz

I just saw on Court TV News, and I realize that this may be old news, I don't know, but that the DNA analysis per Yoder supports that she is a victim of this nut. No big surprise there.

I sure hope they catch this psycho soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">