• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Email forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbries14

maryland--

An email that I sent to "party a" was forwarded to "party b" and the original message was re-written as something that I did not say and cast me in a negative light? What recourse do I have?

JETX

"What recourse do I have?"
*** If this 'cast' meets the high level required for defamation, you MIGHT have a cause of action if you can show that you have been damaged by this action. Absent that, you have no real recourse other then to contact the person receiving the email and dispute it.

D

dbries14

More Details on forgery

Thanks for the reply-- to be more specific...I am a high school coach and also have a coaching business. A woman sent a forged email to several parents of my high school players and to parents that are clients of mine. If she is not stopped I feel it will undermine my job at the high school and have a negative impact on my enrollment at coaching clinics. What action can be taken?
Thank you.

JETX

You can have an attorney send her a cease and desist letter, which she may comply with or ignore.
You can send all of her 'potential' candidates an email saying that 'someone' has been sending out emails under your name and to ignore them. Of course you would have to take some action that would allow them to know when a 'real' correspondence is sent out.
Or finally, you can get several thousand $$ together and try to file a defamation claim against her, if her conduct reaches that level.

Otherwise, you are 'victim' of the simple process of email spoofing. Done all the time and currently with little or no legal ramifications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">