• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezle or Larceny??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

orcalover

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am ashamed to even say this, but I stole $687 dolaars from my work over the time period of a month. I got caught and was fired. I told them i was willing to repay the money. Which my last payckeck would have gone to. It would have covered it plus more. Now, they are saying that there is more money missing than that and are accussing me of taking more than $3000.00. Which I didn't do, but I know of course it looks like me. There have been more than 10 employees doing paperwork and deposits other than me. They don't even have proof that I took any of it, other than me admitting to the $687. I know they don't want o put me in jail, but if they want me to pay that much back, it's unfair. And I don't have that much to give back. I don't know if I should just pay all of that back or fight it. I don't have money for a lawyer. I'm 22, married with an unemployed husband and 2 year old daughter. If I fight it and lose can I go to jail? Can anyone tell me the consequences of the crimes? please help me, I've never done anything like this before. I guess stress can make you do a lot of things. I have a clean record so I don't think I would go to jail,but I don't know. please help me.

Last edited:

T

toasted

You need to contact an attorney

Since you were not the only one to have access to the monies at the same time they need to prove that you did in fact steal the money. You may not be the only one to have been caught stealing so just because you know you have a blemish with them does not mean others do not as well.

Did they keep your paycheck? You should contact Dept of Labor about this issue. If they withheld you paycheck illegally they (DOL) will force them to give it back to you. You do not need an attorney for this.

Can you go to jail? Well yes if they choose to prosecute, but again they will have to prove you took it. Do not sign anything admitting guilt. Why wouldn't you want to fight if you did not take it?

Once you speak to an attorney he/she will advise you of your options. States vary, so I am giving you an opinion, not legal advise. Good luck.

Last edited:
O

orcalover

No, I didn't get a paycheck. I didn't push for it either, thinking that we would be even then. My check would have been for $700. I talked to the owner this morning and they are now saying $6900 is missing! Of course, they think It is me. He said I have 2 options. 1. Pay them back that much and no proscuting or 2. He will prosecute. I told him, that I cannot pay them for something i didn't do and I was gonna fight it. I asked him what proof does he have, which I am pretty sure he doesn't have any, and he was stumbling around the question. He said it was a slam dunk case for the county prosecuter. Doesn't the prosecuter decide what they will and won't prosecute? My father in law was beat up and put in the hospital by a man who wasn't prosectued, I guess it's diferent for every case. I am just worried and going to fight this and then they find me guilty of it all. Then I would have paid alot of money for a lawyer, restitution, and a felony on my record. I'm scared and wish that I would never have done this. Worst yet, I feel terrible for doing this to my boss. I know they don't want me to go to jail, but they want me to pay 10 times the amount I took.

Every worker has money in their hands at one point or another, like i said before 10 different people do the deposit and paperwork. They are un-organized and didn't even look at the paperwork for 8 months after the store opened.

Can reasonable doubt be proof in this case? I think that's what it would be called. I did write a letter saying I did embezzle money from them, I put no amount on it. I thought this was ok, because I was admitting it anyways and I thought we were gonna work things out. I admitted to stealing so now they are gonna say i stole all of it. I guess I need some advice about all of this.

I am going to talk to a lawyer next week, i don't know how I am going to pay him though. I honestly don't have anything anymore. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. Thank you so much!

C

cinbad

orcalover, I would not have any more contact with them. That letter you wrote was not smart, and it may be used against you. If they want to prosecute let them and you will be appointed an attorney. Until then I would just let it go. Hang up if they call you. As far as you are concerned IF they decide to prosecute just let the attorney know that you forfeited the paycheck in exchange for the theft...they kept the check which was against the law anyway. They may just call it a day.

D

DMoorman

Ouch, you should have never written a letter admitting to taking anything. You screwed yourself right there. But, it also sounds like they're wanting to get more out of you than is missing. If the amount keeps growing then you need to go ahead and get an attorney. Have you ever been in trouble before?

O

orcalover

Thanks for the responsces

No, I never have been in trouble before. I don't know anything about the legal system, so I didn't know I should not have signed anything. Common sense should have told me something, but it didn't. It has been almost 3 weeks now since they said they were going to prosecute this. How long should it take to hear something? Does the prosecuter have to prosecute this? Does he have a choice? Just wondering, I know I need a lawyer, but I really can't afford one right now. I'm just worried that the police are gonna come to my door to get me and my husband won't be home, so they will take my daughter. Is that how it will go? Like I said before, I'be never been in trouble before so i don't know what to expect. Thank you everyone who has responded so far!

D

DMoorman

WHat I don't understand is how the amount keeps going up. Is writing the letter admitting to doing this the only thing you've signed and did you put the amount in the letter?
I'm not sure how it works there but here they will let you call a neighbor or someone to come get your child if you're there alone. Odds are a detective will question you before they arrest you. They should call you and see if you want to come in and talk to them on your own. You can always ask for a court appointed attorney if you're indicted. This could take a while depending on how backed up the D.A.'s office is. I know of one case that the attorney I worked for handled that took almost a year before an arrest was made against the person that took the money. Ya just never know. I'd personally go ahead and get an attorney and let him/her try to work this out. But, you need to make sure you don't get stuck paying back money that you didn't take. Tell what you took, be honest about it and be willing to pay that amount back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">