• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

embezzlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ontheh2o

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My girlfriend will be arrested and charged formally with embezzlement next week. The short of the story is she took 40k to pay for her mothers medical bills, then turned herself into her employer. They came to terms on repayment and no charges were filed and she left the company. Her employer then decided not to wait for her repayment (this was all legally documented for repayment) and took a claim from their insurance company to recover the money. The insurance company has worked with her to repay the money to them now and my gf is now waiting for closure on a equity loan to pay this all off. Now, someone (insurance co or previous employer unknown) has filed charges against her and the Oregon DA is taking over the case.

She has a totally clean record, has never had any problems with the law, has a 12 yr old daughter is active in her community just made a very stupid error in judgement.

We do have a lawyer that I'm not real happy with but obviously the goal is to keep her out of jail and make some plea bargain with the DA. What has your experience been or what is your professional opinion on her not receiving any jail time for this? She's been making payments since she turned herself in and made the legal binding repayment schedule and has almost completed her mortgage loan and should be ready within the next week to help repay it.

Is there a good chance she will not receive any jail time??

Thanks!!
Steve

Last edited:

racer72

Repayment of the funds and whether she will do jail time are two completely different things. Repaying the money is the right thing to do. But she also committed a crime. And she will have to face the music for her deeds. It will be up to the DA and judge as to whether she does any time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">