• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clearingtheair

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My fiancé’s ex-wife towards the end of their marriage was investigated and went on trial for embezzlement in the mid 90’s. Their homes were searched since they were going through a divorce and all their financial records. He was cleared and she went on trial since it was her place of employment. To this day he believes there is not statue of limitations on this case and at any time his home and financial records can still be searched. Is there a statue of limitation? The reason for the question is due to his fathers passing he has inherited monies and of course we need documentation for putting large sums of monies into the account but I'm trying to clear the air that their won't be a knock at the door.

Raptoer

Statute of limitations doesn't apply there, they can take as long as they want to investigate, the timer starts when they file charges.

As long as the inheritance money is properly documented and has no connection to the embezzled money there should be no problem.

seniorjudge

Q: To this day he believes there is not statue of limitations on this case and at any time his home and financial records can still be searched. Is there a statue of limitation?

A: There is a statute of limitations. I am assuming that he has not been charged. Is that correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">