• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

embezzlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nfocus

What is the name of your state? Nevada

over the period of feb. - may 08, i took 23k worth of money from my company, it is my first offense, what is the likely hood of events that will occur in court? will i have to serve time? or will it be just a case of restitution?

thank you

FlyingRon

If you've been charged, the chances of restitution making it go away are nil.
You need a lawyer. You might get off with PROBATION + Restitution, but your lawyer will have a better idea of the options.

nfocus

when i was booked the charges listed was 1 count @ $400. i was released on no bail.
now im being charged with 23k worth of money. the night they took me upon the search of my clothes they found $3400 cash and took it as evidence, also that week i was not paid they withheld my check for $600 now will i be able to use that money as part payment as to what i owe?

3400+600=4000

4000-23k= 19k

would this be correct?

thank you

outonbail

when i was booked the charges listed was 1 count @ $400. i was released on no bail.
now im being charged with 23k worth of money. the night they took me upon the search of my clothes they found $3400 cash and took it as evidence, also that week i was not paid they withheld my check for $600 now will i be able to use that money as part payment as to what i owe?

3400+600=4000

4000-23k= 19k

would this be correct?

thank you
If your case was being held in civil court, then it is possible that your figures could be close to what the court determines you owe. That is, if the victim agrees with the figures you admit to.
Although, you could also be hit with punitive damages, which could easily exceed the actual damages.

However,,,,

Your case is at this point in time, a criminal case. So while you could be ordered to pay an amount of restitution to the victim, that might match your figures, this would only be a portion of the total sum of costs, that you will most likely be held responsible for.

There's a substantial list of additional amounts of money that will apply to your case, if and when your found guilty. There's a range of fines for committing the crime, court costs, booking fees, probation report fees, administration fees, victim fund charges and on and on.

There is also a substantial list of additional punishment measures you stand a good chance of receiving. Such as jail time, costs related to counseling and/or classes an endless list of terms for your probation etc..
Also, I can assure you that the ramifications of having a criminal record, for a theft related charge, where your employer was the victim, will not open any doors of opportunity in the near or distant future.

So, you can scribble a bunch of figures down on paper and do all the math you want. But don't fool yourself into believing that you can dig up the amount of money your calculations arrive at, as still being owed and make everything good. It just doesn't work that way.

Because at best, your figures are no more than the proverbial, "Tip of the iceberg"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">