• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

embezzlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Birdarella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York December 2007

I had a "friend" that we decided to go into business together. A video gaming lounge. He had the building so I just had to put up my portion. $12,000 was my portion of the investment. Then as we saw how other gaming lounges functioned, he bought the game consoles. I bought the furniture and light fixtures, bringing my investment to almost $16,000. A month later, I couldn't get into the building anymore.

To make a long story short, he kept the money and the furniture. I couldn't get anything back. So I called him and recorded our convos (thank goodness its legal in NY) he said numerous times that he owed me the money and would give it back. He started making payments last year, I have the receipt book, and then he stopped and dropped off the face of the earth.
So I went to civil court and got a judgement of $16,000 (including interest) and I haven't been able to collect.

Is what he did considered embezzlement? Can he be arrested? The initial giving of the money was November 2007. I asked for it in December. What's the statute of limitations on what he did?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">