• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement... does the family pay it back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knewby1

Missouri.

While living with my Aunt for 4 months, she deposited "paychecks" into my bank account for working for her as a store manager at her second job, (owner of 2 chain liquor stores). After leaving the state to return to my own family, she was arrested and charged with embezzling over $800,000 from her first job, CFO of a company. I am now being told that the company is coming after literally every person they can find that she gave monies to including her own children and nanny, people who were on her payroll such as myself. None of us had any idea this was going on and are shocked to hear demands that we repay her stolen funds. Are we legallt obligated to pay back money given to us?

ShyCat

Stolen property must be returned to the rightful owner. She stole cash and gave it to you, you have to give it back. Same as if she'd stolen TVs and given one to you. You don't get to keep it just because you're not the one that stole it.

If she owes you money for whatever it is you supposedly did to earn those "paychecks", then your beef is with her, not the victimized company.

Last edited:

HuAi

You are not obligated to return any moneys until a court says you are. The prosecution will try to recover money if your aunt hid it anywhere.

If money was given to you they will try to recover it. If it was fairly earned by you, then its rightfully yours.

As long as you have documentation to show the source of funds such as a contract, a W2, tax returns, etc you should be ok. Of course if auntie paid you $20,000 per month for a job that normally earns a quarter of that, it may be an issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">