• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement Misdemeanor, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drummerbuddie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hey guys, I'm looking for some Embezzlement help. I was working at a department store until Jan 2 this year (Way to start the new year, eh?). The internal security had a word with me about causing shortage in the store, pretending that it's an asset protection training for all employees. They later led on to internal causes of shortage (or in other words, employees who cause shortage). I had a feeling where this was going by this point.

They then have me say that I add money to a gift card without paying for it while being behind the counter. I didn't deny it, it started becoming something so instinct and I needed something to stop me. I only worked once or twice on weekends, seldom during the week, and only if I had a lunch break (I would sometimes work less than 5 hours), I would add only a $5 or $10 on the gift card so that I am able to get something to eat. However, they informed me that on one month, I spent over $120, and including all the times I did it, it would equal to $400. I personally felt it wasn't that much, but I didn't want to fight it much, without knowing if it would hurt my cause more than help it.

Anyway, later the day, they paid me my last paycheck and called a police officer to come by. He read me my rights and asked me either jail time or citation, and I chose citation. This is my first offense (excluding a speeding ticket of about 2 years ago, removed from traffic school), and the officer cited me for "503 PC Embezzlement" I believe, his handwriting isn't as great, and misdemeanor. I really don't know what to do, I tried to save money to pay back the $400 and to pay any fine of that, but I had bills and my parents were behind on theirs too, so they asked me to give them some as well, but now I only have about $200.

My employer said the corporation will send me a letter involving the payments, I believe was $33/mo. for a year. The officer also told me that I could take a class to get the misdemeanor off my record. I got confused here, because I had thought that it would only apply if it was a traffic case.

Please give me your thoughts, and tips on what to expect on my court date. My notice to appear citation says my appear date is on the 22nd of this month. I don't know what to expect on my appearance date, or what I should bring other than the citation, or if I should approach an attorney (I have no money to afford one:(). Thanks for your time!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

Your first court appearance will be the arraignment. The court will ask you for a plea and they will ask if you need counsel to be appointed to represent you. Since you have no apparent income or assets, chances are you will be eligible for a public defender. So, it is likely you will want to plead "not guilty" and buy yourself some time to consult this appointed attorney to decide what course of action to take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">