• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee stealing from the job years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hambone101

about 10 + years ago a worker was stealing weekly! he was a Carpenter working for the state government as a state employee. he would over order materials to do repair work and take most of the material home with him. this includes tools that he bought new also. he sheathed his roof with plywood, re shingled his roof, replaced his hot water heater..the list goes on. all with state funds! he even had former employees help him UN load the stuff at his house.
even tho i never witnessed the stealing he would brag to me on the amount of time he would spend working on his house on company time.
he is now in a management position!

i have since retired and this is not sitting well with me!
i have spoke to one of the former employees that helped him curry the materials to his residence and he said he would come forward and tell his side if he was compensated (paid a sum of money)

question is: how can i go about turning this guy in!

thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, do you have any evidence of this, other than a witness who will only testify if he's paid for it? (How much credibility do you think that's going to give him? Or you?)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless there's something unique to this plywood and these shingles, that's not going to be much in the way of proof 10 years later.

Let me ask you, if this bothers you so much, why didn't you say something ten years ago? Why all of a sudden is this such an issue for you?

I'mTheFather

Wow. Ten years. That's certainly illegal... and you knew all about it!

I suggest that you devote yourself to others and give alms to the poor to atone for the sins weighing on your conscience.

hambone101

Unless there's something unique to this plywood and these shingles, that's not going to be much in the way of proof 10 years later.

Let me ask you, if this bothers you so much, why didn't you say something ten years ago? Why all of a sudden is this such an issue for you?
change of heart!

lot numbers on the wood!

swalsh411

It's reprehensible that you did not report it at the time. In fact it makes you not much better than the thief.

You're not going to get a search warrant to get the shingles and wood from the guy's house without some evidence other than somebody who will only testify if he is paid.

The only thing you can testity to yourself is that he claimed he worked on personal projects on company time.

Move on.

commentator

As someone who worked in state government for many years, I would suggest that you call the "state waste and fraud hotline" which most states do have in some size shape or form. You can give them all the specifics you want to, the person's name, what you saw, and when it occurred, and then it will be over. What they will do is investigate the complaint if they want to and think it is important. What they will not do is give you any feedback about what they did or did not do.

You will never be called on to testify in any criminal proceding. You will have done your civic duty, as far as you can do it, without the !!! and drama. It sounds a lot like you are just all peeved and possibly jealous because this guy, whom you know to be dishonest, is now a supervisor. (!)

How do you know that he has not been caught and reprimanded for this? I suspect that any wrongdoing you observed occurred long enough ago that no action will be taken, but you can report it to this fraud division. Otherwise, the issue needs to die and you need to move on. If there is an "investigative reporter" who works for one of the local news channels in your area, you might be able to interest them in this possible wrongdoing that you know of, particularly if the person has now got a really good job, like commissioner or department chair, but the story doesn't really sound exciting enough for them to go for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">