• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ali Bleu

We recently purchaced an existing business. The 2 employees that had been working there, were going to stay on, and continue to work there. After 3 weeks from purchase, customer files started to come up missing. We confronted both employees. One of the employees that had been previously incharge of the billing and computer needs, said he had thrown some old account files away. He never asked anyone if he could do so. He did however admit he still had some of the corporate files at home doing some book keeping with them. He had also deleted these customers out of the computer. Since this employees departure, 3 weeks after we purchased the business, we found out by asking the previous owners of the business, where was the back-up disk for the computer, and then we started asking questions. We have found out this ex-employees new employer has now accuired many of the accounts where the files he says he threw away or still has. What recoarse do I have, since I feel he has stolen from me and has caused lost accounts and money because of his use of these files. These files are also needed for IRS. He has admitted to having files and throwing away files. To add a twist to this. We also found out he was trying to purchase the business at the same time we were looking at it, but he didn't have enough money to buy it. So a lot of resentment expressed by him to the other employee about our purchase of the business. He is also soliciting our accounts and telling them that the new owners are not going to give them what they have been getting in the past, then suggesting they take there business where he is employed now. Him taking the files has me steamed! That is the main problem. E-mail me if you can possibly help!
[email protected]
I'm in Texas if that matters.

Thanks!
Perry

ALawyer

This is VERY serious. I don't know if you had legal counsel before, but this is likely something that should have been covered / anticipated in the the purchase agreement. Get a lawyer immediately and learn your rights, and then act on them

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">