• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer careless with my SSN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blazon3

What is the name of your state? MA

This afternoon I found at my job a list of all staff Social Security Numbers. The list was left in the copy room, a room used by all staff and sometimes by non-staff members as well. I'm now concerned, obviously, about the administration's lack of care in handling highly personal information (social security numbers, bank account numbers, etc.).

I seem to recall that an entity that requests such information is bound by the law to maintain certain levels of confidentiality. Am I correct in this belief? What, if any, laws apply here?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

blazon

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Off the top of my head I can't think of any specific laws that have been violated. Certainly they need to be careful with such information but there is no set procedure (i.e. SSN's can only be viewed by the following positions; bank account numbers must be kept in such a fashion) that the law requires them to follow.

You have every right to complain to your employer but until or unless you can show that you have suffered some damages that can be directly related to this (identity theft, someone hacking into your bank account) that's the end of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">