• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enhancement Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adam1

Hello please tell me whether a 1000-ft restriction (for the state of Missouri) for living near a school is measured to the school building or to the school grounds itself. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello please tell me whether a 1000-ft restriction (for the state of Missouri) for living near a school is measured to the school building or to the school grounds itself. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Can the children be anywhere on the school grounds, or only in building? Yeah, you know the answer already...

tranquility

To me, such limitations of distance are problematical. But, the cases I've seen have to do with the property and not the building. In fact, I've never seen where the building is the determining factor.

quincy

Following are a few links for you to look over, Adam.

The first link is to a Missouri "Sex Offender Registry Fact Sheet," which indicates the 1000-ft restriction applies to the "real property" of the school. The second link is to the legal definition of "real property." And the third link is to an interesting case out of Michigan and, although I realize Michigan is not Missouri, the case addresses the unconstitutionality of Michigan's 1000-ft restriction, saying it is "too vague."

Fact Sheet: https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html

Real Property: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/real-property

John Does #1-5 and Mary Doe v. Richard Snyder and Col. Kriste Etue: http://media.mlive.com/lansing-news/other/CourtSORA.pdf

The Michigan case states that the 1,000-ft restriction does not provide guidance on how to measure the distance - whether it should be measured as the crow flies or as how people travel from place to place.

TigerD

Property line to property line.

TD

quincy

Property line to property line.

TD
How are the Missouri 1,000-foot restrictions typically worded?

The fact that Adam1 asked the question he did makes me think that there is not much guidance given an offender in how to measure the distance.

This is just curiosity on my part, as Adam1 only asked about whether the restriction would be to the school building or to the school property, and THAT question has been answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">