• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evil Stepfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizyoda

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

This is my first time posting anything, so I apologise if I come off as a complete retard. I'm not very computer savvy. Anyway, to the point: Does anyone out there have any knowledge concerning the tampering of mail? Mainly MY mail, by my soon-to-be ex stepfather. When I was 16, my mother remarried after the death of my father, and the stepfather and I didn't get along. So I moved out, but I kept my mom's address as my permanent mailing address. Well, a couple of years later, I come to find out the stepfather (who was not my legal guardian) had been 'getting rid' of not only the mail addressed to me, but some that was addressed to my mother, and my younger brother (who has the same name as my dad- the stepfather's reasoning was he didn't want a lot of our deceased father's mail coming to 'his' mailbox). I am 20 now, and I'm wondering what legal courses of action are available. Please let me know if anybody has any advice, or links to sites which could offer help and insight into this matter.
Lizyoda

CdwJava

You can get your mail forwarded to your address. Once it shows up at his house he is not obligated to store it for you. If you don't live there, he can either return it to sender, store it for you, or even destroy it ... hopefully its not anything of real value (in which case you might have cause for a civil action against him).

If he's snagging mom's mail, she needs to address it - not you.

In your case, you need to get a change of address registered.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">