• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Husband and Bad Check Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

natcatsmom

What is the name of your state? California

I recently moved back to California only to be greeted by a notice from my local "District Attorney's Bad Check Program" regarding a "worthless check" written by my ex-husband using a joint account. Even though I am now divorced, I do realize I am responsible for all debt acquired while married, so I called to resolve the problem. When I contacted the office, they informed me that a retailer reported the crime to the program in 1996 for a check written 10 months prior to that in 1995. Apparently my then husband made some payments on the debt. He did not pay off the debt completely or take the class involved to complete the program. No charges were ever filed by the DA - and the case was not pursued. That is, until now. They are after me for it. They are not filing any charges, they just want me to pay it off and take the class. I want it all taken care of so I am not negatively affected by it, however it is a very significant amount of money. My question is - how long can they hold this over my head? Is there no statute of limitations for actually filing charges on a "crime" reported over 8 years ago for a misdemeanor - California Penal code section 476(a)? I am scared and confused. The "program" personnel are not affiliated with the actual DA office - they are just collectors contracted to settle the accounts and appoint class times, so there is no one to talk to that is qualified to make any type of legal statement. I want to clear it all up as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

S

seniorjudge

This is not a debt.

This is a crime committed by your ex-husband.

If you are telling the truth in all respects, you should not plead guilty to someone else's crime.

Get some legal advice quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">