• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex took promissory note for the car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jn702

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

---I think I put this in the wrong category SORRY---

I was dating someone for over 4 years. We broke up about a month ago.

He got a car for me in his name, but I made all payments (I have the receipts) for the car. I have done all the repairs (with receipts). I have paid for all insurance , and registration (with receipts) .

When I first got this car we both signed a promissory note along with a friend of mine who was the witness. We ended up with 2 copy's. One copy to me with my signature, his signature and my friends signature.

He came over this last Sunday (June 27th 2010) to get a box of stuff he needed back. He asked to use the bathroom and I thought nothing of it because he has IBS (I was at the doctor before with him, so I know it's a real issue) and my bathroom is located upstairs on the 2nd floor.

Fast forward to today (June 28th 2010) and I get woken up by a call from him, which I did not answer. He called back 6 times in a row, and at the 6th time (I know it's 6 times because as I type this I am looking at my cellphone) I answered.

He told me that he took my copy of the note (which I got up and looked and saw it was gone) and he said he will be calling the police in the next day if I do not give him the car.

I hung up on him and went outside and saw that my license plates were taken off of the car. I called him back and he flipped out on me saying "somebody took the plates?? Now my credit will be ruined."

So am I out of luck, and will he be able to take the car back ? (he says he will report it stolen and then put me in jail, and he will get it back from impound)

Thank you

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I was dating someone for over 4 years. We broke up about a month ago.

He got a car for me in his name, but I made all payments (I have the receipts) for the car. I have done all the repairs (with receipts). I have paid for all insurance , and registration (with receipts) .

When I first got this car we both signed a promissory note along with a friend of mine who was the witness. We ended up with 2 copy's. One copy to me with my signature, his signature and my friends signature.

He came over this last Sunday (June 27th 2010) to get a box of stuff he needed back. He asked to use the bathroom and I thought nothing of it because he has IBS (I was at the doctor before with him, so I know it's a real issue) and my bathroom is located upstairs on the 2nd floor.

Fast forward to today (June 28th 2010) and I get woken up by a call from him, which I did not answer. He called back 6 times in a row, and at the 6th time (I know it's 6 times because as I type this I am looking at my cellphone) I answered.

He told me that he took my copy of the note (which I got up and looked and saw it was gone) and he said he will be calling the police in the next day if I do not give him the car.

I hung up on him and went outside and saw that my license plates were taken off of the car. I called him back and he flipped out on me saying "somebody took the plates?? Now my credit will be ruined."

So am I out of luck, and will he be able to take the car back ? (he says he will report it stolen and then put me in jail, and he will get it back from impound)

Thank you
If the car is in his name, the car belongs to him. He would be an idiot to report it stolen because he knows it is not, but he does have every right to come get his belongings ~ no matter who actually forked over the money for it.

jn702

Thank you for your reply.

And as per that reply I have taken off all the parts I have paid for and replaced, so now the car is without a power steering pump, a timing belt, a valve cover gasket and valve cover, and oil filter.

I have reciepts for all of those parts, and he will have to take me to small claims court for those parts.

And we took the parts out in a walmart parking lot, so now it's dripping oil in the parking lot, so now he can come get it and decide how he will fix it (he has not worked in 2 years saying everyone is racist against him and will not give him a job)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

And as per that reply I have taken off all the parts I have paid for and replaced, so now the car is without a power steering pump, a timing belt, a valve cover gasket and valve cover, and oil filter.

I have reciepts for all of those parts, and he will have to take me to small claims court for those parts.

And we took the parts out in a walmart parking lot, so now it's dripping oil in the parking lot, so now he can come get it and decide how he will fix it (he has not worked in 2 years saying everyone is racist against him and will not give him a job)
That was a dumb move...good luck in the future - you'll need it!

I bet a lawyer won't be racist in taking your boyfriend's case against you....

jn702

You are correct, I am back.

He went to get the car with the police.

His gun fell out while he was going to look under the car and now he is in jail.

His mother called me and told me, saying it was my fault.

Yep, my fault he carrys a un-registered gun.

And I know you ladies here will think this is BS.

So just check spot crime.com , for today, in a walmart parking lot.

I'm 100% sure it will show in a day or two.

And even if he does take me to court, what can he get me for ?

My $0

My nothing I own.

And you might ask WHY I have $0 and nothing to my name ?

I'm the girl who stabbed her lawyer 5 years ago on July 13th while on PCP.

(my username is my real first and last name initials, so you ladies can look up that case as well, once you do you will know my whole name!!! then if any of you ladies want you can come and find me, which im 1000000000000000000000% sure NONE of you will )

Toodles girls ;-)

You are correct, I am back.

He went to get the car with the police.

His gun fell out while he was going to look under the car and now he is in jail.

His mother called me and told me, saying it was my fault.

Yep, my fault he carrys a un-registered gun.

And I know you ladies here will think this is BS.

So just check spot crime.com , for today, in a walmart parking lot.

I'm 100% sure it will show in a day or two.

And even if he does take me to court, what can he get me for ?

My $0

My nothing I own.

And you might ask WHY I have $0 and nothing to my name ?

I'm the girl who stabbed her lawyer 5 years ago on July 13th while on PCP.

(my username is my real first and last name initials, so you ladies can look up that case as well, once you do you will know my whole name!!! then if any of you ladies want you can come and find me, which im 1000000000000000000000% sure NONE of you will )

Toodles girls ;-)
My good friend Cynthia always says "“When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.”

Sick misguided pathetic little girl, no one cares about you and your pathetic little life, so rock on.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">