• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife holding property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicknick63m

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am recently divorced and my ex-wife and her lawyer are holding her military id card until i sign a revised version of our equitable distribution. Both her and her lawyer are telling me that they will not give it back until i sign the new document which has items in there that i do not agree to. The whole reason it needs to be signed over again is because her lawyer did not put enough information in it addressing our vehicles and the proper information to have the others names taken off of the loan. My question is can they legally do this and if not what actions can i take against them? I live in Michigan and my ex-wife and lawyer live in North Carolina. Any advice or possible options would be greatly appreciated

seniorjudge

the proper information to have the others names taken off of the loan
BTW, the only way to get this done is either to pay the loan off or get a new loan.

The lender wasn't a party to your lawsuit so nothing in the judgment affects the lender.

nicknick63m

The problem i have is that i have to turn it back into the Army. Technically it is not her or my ID card it is property of the US Government. I have seen soldiers before get into a lot of trouble with ID Cards not getting turned back in after a divorce and I am trying to prevent this situation. Both her and her lawyer are basically telling me that i will not get it back to turn in and also i will not get the Power of Attorny for my vehicle that says i am the sole owner of it unless i sign this new agreement. To me it just does not seem right or even legal that they can do this but i am not a lawyer or have any background in law so am looking for advice.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why should you get back HER ID card? Let her deal with the consequences of not turning it back in.

seniorjudge

Nick, I know nothing about military law. But it seems odd to me that even the government would make YOU responsible for something SHE did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">