• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunction/background checks and housing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

txjaf

What is the name of your state? Texas

Nearly three years ago, my boyfriend was falsely accused, arrested and indicted for a felony sex crime. After he passed a polygraph test with flying colors, the state dismissed the case. We haven't been able to afford to hire a lawyer to get the arrest record expunged but plan to do so eventually.

Last weekend we applied for a new apartment lease and the background check erroneously showed a conviction for the sex crime case. We provided proof that the case had been dismissed but were still turned down for the lease and we're still trying to get specifics on why.

My question is - what can we do to correct the information coming up on these background checks? We have contact info for the specific company that this apartment complex uses, but I understand there are hundreds of companies providing background checks. Any info would be appreciated.

CdwJava

The first thing you need to do is find out (if you can) WHERE they obtained the information about the conviction. If it was from a state record system then you contact the agency that oversees those records and find out the procedure to challenge/contest/amend erroneous records. If they got it from a local court or law enforcement agency, than contact that agency. It may alse be that the housing agency implied the conviction - or misnitepreted the arrest and information as an arrest rather than simply an arrest.

Until or unless you can find out the source of the erroneous info, correcting the problem may be impossible.

Carl

VR_Hunter

Ahhhh, Expunction...

Expunction: to expunge, wipe out, obliterate, erase, delete, cross out and remove.

Exxxpuuuunnnnngge. Say it slowly, jaw thrust forward and hang on the "U" and "N". Rolls off nicely doesn't it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">