• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diamond5ds

Colorado

About 6 years ago, I was adjudicated of a felony sexual crime. I was 14 years old, but I still have problems getting employed due to the records from my childhood mistake still existing.

I've been out of trouble with the law for almost 8 years and I want desperately to expunge my record, but on the expungement form I picked up at the courthouse, I find this line:

"You are not eligible to Petition for an expungement order if you were adjudicated for an offense involving unlawful sexual behavior as defined in 16-22-102(9) C.R.S."

I guess my questions is: is there any way around this? A law is a law, but is there any way I can go to the next higher authority or submit it regardless? I feel like this was a rather stupid childhood mistake and for it to continue affecting my life is really horrible. I'm willing to put considerable effort into it I just need a little guidance. I know very little about law so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

CavemanLawyer

Short of convincing the governor of the state of conviction that you deserve a pardon, all you could do is lobby your legislators to change that law. Pardons quite frankly are reserved for political figures and people wrongfully convicted (truly innocent.)

Just because you cannot expunge your record doesn't mean you can't seal it though, and actually it might be at least partially sealed already since you have become an adult. But look into sealing your record, it can make your adjudication disappear from background checks of non-governmental agencies. But if you had to register as a sex offender than there may be documentation about you and your adjudication in print and/or on the internet and there's not much you can do to limit the continued publication of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">