• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement Options.... (Hawaii) Please help..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

808Saga

What is the name of your state (Hawaii)

I have a misdemeanor on my record that I would like to get removed, I don't meet the requirements to get a pardon from the governor in the state of Hawaii and I don't know any other ways that I can get the charge removed/expunged from my record. This charge is really preventing me from doing a lot with my life and I would like to get it removed A.S.A.P.

Does anyone know what all my options are to get this charge taken off my record ?

If you have any questions for me please just ask them and I will reply ASAP.

Thank you.

FlyingRon

There is no way to expunge/seal/remove/set aside convictions in Hawaii.

The question that comes up is why are you not eligible for pardon in Hawaii. Hawaii pardons are quite broad. The biggest reason that you wouldn't be eligible if it is not a Hawaii conviction we are talking about. If it's federal, you're out of luck. If it's in some state other than Hawaii, tell us, there may be an out in that state's courts.

808Saga

Its just a misdemeanor. I was told that if you have not been working at the same job for multiple years and lived at the same resident for multiple years that you don't qualify for a pardon.

I'm really trying to get the misdemeanor removed so I can enter Canada. I was there visiting my girlfriend of 2 years and I left because of some medical issues and it was getting close to my 6 month limitation. As I was trying to cross back over they checked my record and in doing so they denied me entry because of a misdemeanor from 2012. In a result of getting denied, I have been dealing with a great deal of stress, anxiety and depression and now I have to see a therapist for all of this.

That is why I am trying to get it off my record. Its effecting my mental and physical wellbeing and the separation is more then one would like to bear.

SO if there is anything I can do I will do that so I can return to Canada to stay with her. Any suggestions would greatly help. I have though about her coming to the US but right now that is not feasible for her because she has much going on there and I just got back to Hawaii and I don't have a stable living arrangement for us...

So if anyone could past this on to someone that they think may have a solution please do so... I would really like to be with her within the next 6 months. I know that maybe a short period yet I don't know how much my heart can take... :(

Last edited:

davew128

Look, the simple truth is that you need to wait until 5 years go by from the conviction before Canada will even consider letting you in unless you're already a Canadian criminal like Justin Bieber.

FlyingRon

You should talk to a lawyer rather than "people who have heard things."

The pardon won't necessarily hide the crime from the Canadians.

Your best bet is to see if you can be "deemed rehabilitated" at the border.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">