• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

extortion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubled guy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I made the extreme mistake of bailing someone out of jail who has owed me money for over half a year and now seems almost certain to stiff me on the money for the bail bondsman (He proposes to repay me with money from a government disability check that I am certain will be discontinued after he goes in jail for a felony charge for years).

In hopes of getting my money repaid I have informed him that if he doesn’t repay me or assure me that he really will have on-going disability income after being incarcerated, I will either attempt to have his bail revoked or show up at his sentencing to tell the judge what a scumbag he is. Can I be successfully charged with extortion when what I am attempting to do is recover my own money that I am owed?

panzertanker

troubled guy said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I made the extreme mistake of bailing someone out of jail who has owed me money for over half a year and now seems almost certain to stiff me on the money for the bail bondsman (He proposes to repay me with money from a government disability check that I am certain will be discontinued after he goes in jail for a felony charge for years).

In hopes of getting my money repaid I have informed him that if he doesn’t repay me or assure me that he really will have on-going disability income after being incarcerated, I will either attempt to have his bail revoked or show up at his sentencing to tell the judge what a scumbag he is. Can I be successfully charged with extortion when what I am attempting to do is recover my own money that I am owed?
Being a co-signer on a bond is not a right, it is a priviledge.
You don't want to help him?
Then go to the bail bondsman and revoke your co-sign. They will pick him up, put him in jail and you won't have to worry about your "scumbag" friend jumping bail on you and leaving you holding the bag....

Don't you watch "Dog: Bounty Hunter"???
:D

troubled guy

My concern is that I have written to my scumbag former friend that if I don't receive the money he owes me, I would attempt to have his bond revoked, and he contends that it is extortion. Other than the unlikely event of being repaid my money, nothing would make me happier than tossing him in jail.

No, I've never watched Bounty Hunter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">