• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion/blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgw_514

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I started dating a guy who lives in another state from August 2007 to July 2008. Not long after we started dating, he took some photos of me after I had gotten out of the shower. I objected and told him to stop but he said he was going to delete the pictures. Then he started doing it at every opportunity he could. I knew it was pointless to tell him to stop but I really didn't think anyone else would see the pictures. Anyway, around March of 2009 I found out he had sent some of those pictures out (not sure how many) to some mutual friends. I have a screenshot of the message he sent me admitting he sent the pictures out. I kind of forgot about the whole thing until almost 3 weeks ago. I received an email from a bogus yahoo address that had one of the pictures attached and said (basically) "send me more photos or I'll post all of the photos I have of you on the internet." (extortion)

The next day, I spoke with an attorney & he suggested I contact the state police where he lives. They directed me to call the police in the county he lives in, so I told the story to a detective there. He started an investigation and one week after I got the original email, a friend told me that someone on a car forum we both are members at posted the pictures. She knew the guy's first and last name and his city so I gave that information to the police & they are still investigating. The detective assured me that both the guy who emailed me and my ex will be punished, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to settle this out of court with them paying me damages (and no or little jail time). What type of an attorney would I need to look for? Would I need one thats licensed in PA (where he's from)?

Thank you for any help.

CdwJava

If you want a civil settlement for money, then sue him. Prosecution will be about jail. If you tell him that you will not continue to assist in a criminal prosecution if he pays you, well ... guess who will be committing extortion at that moment?

So, if you want the police to pursue him criminally, do it. If you want money for embarrassment, humiliation, etc., then try to sue him.

tgw_514

well that didn't answer any of my questions... thanks for the clarification though about being able to still both sue and prosecute them.

CdwJava

well that didn't answer any of my questions... thanks for the clarification though about being able to still both sue and prosecute them.
Your questions appeared to be: "I'm wondering if it would be possible to settle this out of court with them paying me damages" ... and the answer would be, Yes - in a civil suit, not a criminal prosecution.

And, "What type of an attorney would I need to look for?" and this would be: One that handles civil litigation.

Was there some other question?

RRevak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia
but I'm wondering if it would be possible to settle this out of court with them paying me damages (and no or little jail time).
Why on earth would you NOT want this scum to go to jail? :eek:

tgw_514

Your questions appeared to be: "I'm wondering if it would be possible to settle this out of court with them paying me damages" ... and the answer would be, Yes - in a civil suit, not a criminal prosecution.

And, "What type of an attorney would I need to look for?" and this would be: One that handles civil litigation.

Was there some other question?
actually, smartass, there was. since we are in two separate states do I need to find a lawyer here where I live, or one in the state that he lives in?

Why on earth would you NOT want this scum to go to jail? :eek:
I do, but. I did not know that they could still be prosecuted and I would be able to receive something for damages. I thought it. was one or the other.

CdwJava

actually, smartass, there was. since we are in two separate states do I need to find a lawyer here where I live, or one in the state that he lives in?
With that attitude, you can figure it out for yourself.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">