• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion, fraud, theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zollicoffer

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My daughter worked for a small quickstop, foodmart, gas staion as a cashier. She was caught on tape stealing money out of the till to play the pull tabs.

Usually, but not always she would pay the money back before the end of her shift. Neither she nor the owner can determine the exact amount stolen. She states it can't be more than $500.

The owner has estimated $10,000 but I seriously doubt he can prove this. He arrived at his estimate by voodoo economics. He has estimated the number of times she rang up a sale and multiplied that by $5.00. Would he not have a burden to prove the exact amount?

Now the extortion. He allowed her to continue to work for 9 months on condition $50 perweek would be withheld from her pay. That comes to almost $2000.00. Last week, he fired her and has withheld her last 3 weeks pay, about $750. We feel she has paid back at least 4 times the amout stolen. This arrangement was all under threat of turning her into the police if she did not comply.

Now, he wants her to fnd a new job and continue to pay him $50 per week until the balance is paid. Of course under duress of being turned in and arrested.

My daughter is not the first. He has a history of doing this with minimum wage, high school drop-outs. I think he is making more on extortion of these young women than on his business.

Yes, they were wrong and broke the law, but he has too.

Do you think a deal could be cut with a DA to plea bargain a lessor offense in exchange for testimony against this leach on extortion and fraud?

In addition, there is sexual harrassment involved. I have just learned that he costantly makes improper remarks on almost a daily basis about the young women's breast size. Non seem to want to call him on this in fear of losing these minimum wage jobs.

All his employees have very little education and most have back ground problems which prevent them from advancing to better jobs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">