• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook Snooper Shares Private Messages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OPK

I live in a dorm room with another girl. Over thanksgiving break I left for vacation with my desktop computer on with the monitor shut off. During my absence she and her friend accessed my facebook account, took photos of messages in which I vented about living with her (no threatening or slanderous comments on my part just a little trash talking. Though my friend made some off color and obviously facetious jokes about burning the dorm due to her lack of cleanliness) and sent them to school officials in an attempt to get me in trouble. I now have to have a disciplinary hearing. Is what she did legal and if not are there any actions I can take if I'm punished for them? There's no way she could have accidentally viewed my messages.

Just Blue

I live in a dorm room with another girl. Over thanksgiving break I left for vacation with my desktop computer on with the monitor shut off. During my absence she and her friend accessed my facebook account, took photos of messages in which I vented about living with her (no threatening or slanderous comments on my part just a little trash talking. Though my friend made some off color and obviously facetious jokes about burning the dorm due to her lack of cleanliness) and sent them to school officials in an attempt to get me in trouble. I now have to have a disciplinary hearing. Is what she did legal and if not are there any actions I can take if I'm punished for them? There's no way she could have accidentally viewed my messages.
U.S. Law Only.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Why would you leave your computer on and open for anyone to see?
Because, you know, turning off the monitor is the BEST way of securing your PC from others. :cool:

I've actually had folks tell me that the 'computer's not working' when the problem is their monitor.

justalayman

I'm wondering if the op left her computer on with the monitor off because she was surreptitiously recording her roommates.

If not, how would op know roommate took pictures of her messages.

I wonder if op's problems are much bigger than she imagines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">