• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facing Domestic Battery charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dom286

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am facing a Domestic Battery charge in a situation where I was woken up at 3 a.m. by my drunk girlfriend and repeatedly struck in the head. I open hand slapped her to "shock" her so she would stop hitting me. The officers on scene took a photo of a little, little scratch below her eye and arrested me as the aggressor in that situation. I went to court six days later and the judge ordered me to return two months later with a lawyer. Now, I cannot afford a lawyer but according to the court I make enough money that I can afford one. They don't care that I live paycheck to paycheck and have leases, insurance payments, utility bills, and credit card bills and so on and so forth. I am going to be forced to return to court without a lawyer. Can they convict me based on the information I have provided here for you? She has not pressed charges nor is she going to show up in court. I can't return to my home until this is over and done with according to the terms of my bail. I have no prior record. What should I do?

stephenk

have you entered a plea yet? if no, then your next hearing will be the entering of your plea (guilty or not guilty). If you plead not guilty, the court will set a trial date.

your girlfriend doesnt have to cooperate for you to be convicted.

Did she call the police on 911? If yes, the tape of her call can be used. Plus the photos of her scratch and the testimony of the officer/s who came to the scene can also be used.

I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney. i bet you can find the money or credit card to charge to pay for an attorney.

stephenk

Oh ya, get rid of the girlfriend. if everything you posted is true, she will be nothing but trouble from now on.

H

hmmbrdzz

When the police arrived, was she still drunk? Did the police just refuse to listen to you when you told them she was repeatedly striking you in the head? It's kind of strange they didn't take her to jail, too.

hmmbrdzz

D

Dom286

I did not enter a plea. And here's the best part...I called the police. She was drunk and out of control...I didn't know what to do. I THOUGHT I was doing the RIGHT thing....turn's out I was very wrong. The minimum any lawyer want's is $1500.00 that I don't have. I know what you're going to say, get a lawyer....but why do I have to pay all that money if I wasn't wrong? This whole thing sucks, I have never, ever been in trouble before and this experience has changed my outlook on the whole legal system. The only thing I can do is tell everybody I can about how out of control the court and legal system is, which I have been doing. I've heard stories all my life of how the little guy (Joe citizen) get's wrongfully accused, convicted, and jailed...and now I see how. These courts don't care about anything except making side money from kickback's that the lawyers give them.

HomeGuru

Dom286 said:
I did not enter a plea. And here's the best part... These courts don't care about anything except making side money from kickback's that the lawyers give them.

**A: I resent that. That's not true and you are making a generalization of the issue. Courts do care. Judges always ask to let them know of real estate foreclosure investments they can get into when taking kickbacks.

D

Dom286

Funny...but it doesn't help my cause. All the lawyers I talked to did tell me one thing that stuck in my mind (well, one of the things I think is important to bring up that I remember) they all told me that the courts will try to subpoena her. And if she doesn't show to court they will drop the charges.

stephenk

hahahahaha! that's a good one. the attorneys you talked with specialized in criminal defense on spousal abuse cases?

D

Dom286

What are you laughing at? I talked to six lawyers....and without her testimony, they have no case because I called the police. However, I guess that somebody had to go to jail. Anyhow, it's not my spouse, it's my girlfriend.

stephenk

they do have a case. the police who responded can testify to you admitting to hitting her, the cut under her eye and introduce any photos they took of the cut.

is she still your girlfriend?

AmosMoses

Dom286,

If I had any legal problem and I talked to six local lawyers, ESPECIALLY if they were all a united opinion as to my predicament, I'd be damned if I would be posting on a Internet Legal Forum fishing for any feel good news...I would go with what they told me, and I would advise you to do likewise. Now, that's what I would do IF I talked with these half a dozen lawyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">