• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Get a Driver's License After Moving, Criminal Misdemeanor - Florida State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satpra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My DL is from Maryland valid till 2014. I moved to Florida for work about 1 year ago and have a home here. Since I am a consultant (working on a US work visa), I travel for my job. I have been traveling a lot for the last 1 year ( almost every month). Mostly International (out of USA). I am not sure when I may have to relocate to a different city/state. Hence did not take FL license.

Recently I was driving a rented vehicle to Key West and the officer stopped me for speeding (74 on a 55 mph). I am not sure if I was that fast. He gave me two citations. one for speeding and the other for Florida State Statute 322.031(1) for not having a FL license since I was working here for over 1 year. For the 322.031(1), I am required to appear in a court near Key West (over 300 miles from my place).

Had I known about this law, I would have taken my FL license long time ago.

Now I have to appear in court. As it appears, I did not comply with this law, what are the penalties (Minimum and Maximum)?

I am willing to pay the fine etc. Is there a way to avoid going to court and settle it by paying fine.

Will this appear on my record as Criminal offence? If yes, what is the impact? This seems to be a minor traffic violation.. I am still surprised that this is considered criminal.

Is there any way that this can be converted into a non-criminal offence?

Any reference that any of you may have to previous cases (with end result) like this will be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know what are my options.

Thank you very much for your time...

PS: I lived in FL and carried a FL license for 2.5 years before I took my MD license.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Since you seem to be of above average intelligence (at least for posters here) you shouldn't have a problem finding what the penalties are by doing some searching. Seems kind of minor to be considered a misdemeanor, but that's just my opinion.

To avoid an appearance you can always hire a local attorney to appear for you. The ticket you received should have instructions for answering it and whether a personal appearance is required.

xylene

You really need to hire a lawyer.

Basically, if you bother to go and don'tt have that legal counsel, you are sunk.

When you change your state of legal residence you always have to change your drivers license to the state you then reside in.

I would think that not being aware of something that is common knowledge is not going to be a good defense, not matter how often you travel.

The bottom line is a lawyer can reduce or eliminate the criminal damages to you (maybe) and certainly eliminate the need for you to appear, at the very least at this first court date.

ADD- Florida has very severe penalties for not properly changing Drivers License and Car Titles etc. when moving into the state. This is, in part, because as a state with no income tax, DMV fees are an important revenue source for the state.

A cynic could easily say that you were just trying to avoid some steep fees.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">