• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake Art

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nimajnebs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi, a friend of mine bought a lot of indian artifacts from a guy in TN - that I now strongly believe are fake (he is somewhat holding out hope).

I think the amount is well over $2 million that he spent. These artifacts were all bought around 2010.

Unfortunately, my friend is not the kind of guy who keeps good paperwork. Our only evidence that this deal even occurred are the artifacts and a bunch of fishy emails between this guy and my friend.

Should we be talking to a lawyer, or to the police?
What state would we contact the police in?
Could the police get the scammer’s emails and records to use against him?
Is there a statute of limitations on this kind of crime?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your friend can afford to spend $2 million on "art" then your friend would know who to speak to. He wouldn't be asking his friend to jump on internet legal forums.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi, a friend of mine bought a lot of indian artifacts from a guy in TN - that I now strongly believe are fake (he is somewhat holding out hope).

I think the amount is well over $2 million that he spent. These artifacts were all bought around 2010.

Unfortunately, my friend is not the kind of guy who keeps good paperwork. Our only evidence that this deal even occurred are the artifacts and a bunch of fishy emails between this guy and my friend.

Should we be talking to a lawyer, or to the police?
What state would we contact the police in?
Could the police get the scammer’s emails and records to use against him?
Is there a statute of limitations on this kind of crime?
Caveat emptor.

If your 'friend' is able to drop a couple of MILLION on some (Native American?) artifacts, then he could have afforded to have them authenticated at that time. :cool:

Silverplum

There's no reason for you to talk to the police or anyone else on his behalf: he's a grownup, it's his stuff and his money. He can handle it, right?

nimajnebs

Yep

Yes, I agree. He is not being sensible. He does not want to seek legal counsel. Older (right-brain?) people can be like that. Any advice would be appreciated though.

I will be trying to convince him to fix this situation in the near future, but it is such a disaster that I do not really know how to go about this.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I agree. He is not being sensible. He does not want to seek legal counsel. Older (right-brain?) people can be like that. Any advice would be appreciated though.

I will be trying to convince him to fix this situation in the near future, but it is such a disaster that I do not really know how to go about this.
I find this extremely offensive. :mad:

Silverplum

Walk your offensive self right on out of here. You've received good and valid suggestions for a problem that isn't even yours.

tranquility

At http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/tips/indianartifacts.html

there is a "Tips of the Trade
Safely Collecting Indian Artifacts" article. In it, the author mentions:
Illegal Goods
A series of laws passed in 1906, 1966, 1979, and 1992 forbid the taking of Native American artifacts from federal land, including national forests, parks and Bureau of Land Management land, unless granted a permit to do so. Over the years, states have passed their own laws that restrict the taking of Native American objects from state land, echoing the federal laws. There are also laws that deal with pre-Columbian art and taking native works out of other countries.

Ed Wade is senior vice president at the Museum of Northern Arizona, a private institution in Flagstaff that has a repository of over 2 million Native American artifacts. Ed explains that these laws were enacted to restrict "pot hunting," the illegal excavation and sale of Native American objects. Under these laws, those who dig up artifacts from federal or state lands can be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars and can also be prosecuted and sent to jail.

If someone knowingly or even unknowingly purchases these illegally excavated objects, Ed says federal or state officials might seize them without giving any financial compensation.
So, to protect oneself:
Whatever one decides is ethical, collectors need to protect themselves from the law. Bruce recommends you check the laws with your local museum, if it has a major Native American collection, or with reputable dealers, scholars and appraisers before you make a purchase. Ed suggests buyers always make sure to get a letter of certification that authenticates where an object came from and when it was found.

"That way, if someone lies, you can sue them," says Ed, who emphasizes that it is worth getting these for less expensive objects as well, because they will inevitably appreciate in value. "If your son inherits a piece and wants to sell it in 20 years," Ed explains. "A museum won't be able to take it if there's no documentation." Ed says that buying these objects blind is the equivalent of "buying a car or a house without a title."

Bruce emphasizes the importance of dealing with reputable dealers. He gives the lover of Native American artifacts clear advice. "If someone can't tell you where an object came from and how it was acquired, don't buy it," he says. Bruce also notes that there are plenty of beautiful—and safe—Native American materials on the market, such as clothing, or pottery made by contemporary Native American craftsmen.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your friend is an adult who is apparently well off financially. He should be dealing with his own problem. If he is not concerned about it then I would suggest you forget about it.

OHRoadwarrior

Your friend either overpaid for some nice fakes or broke Federal law. At this point we should go with keep his mouth shut and suck it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">