• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake ID

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsthtguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Earlier today I was pulled over for speeding, as I was pulling out my id I accidentally pulled out my fake instead of my actual id. I forgot to move my actual one to the front after Friday night.

I fumbled a bit then handed the officer my actual id, but he asked to see what the other one was. So he caught me with my fake. I was given a ticket for possession of a fake id. I was then told to show up on traffic court on a certain date.

How much trouble am I actually in for only getting caught with a fake, but not in the act of using it? Is this serious enough that I should seek out an attorney for my court date in a few weeks? Or am I just going to get slapped with a fine?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A quick Google search found the following:

If charged with making, advertising for sale, or selling fake IDs, you can be charged with a class 1 misdemeanor, and you may face up to a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

If you are found guilty of possessing a fake ID, you may be charged with a class 2 misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to six months in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

You COULD have been charged with a forgery related offense which is a class 4 felony and face up to 10 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine, however it is still a serious matter. You need to start thinking about getting yourself an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">