• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Arrest Extradited Without Due Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

liz2000

My husband was arrested for "felony theft" of a trailer (reefer unit), we had a contract/lease to have. We live in Alabama, we leased our trucks on with an outfit in Tennessee. We brought the trailer home while we were out on the road, because the company we were leased to, told us they were broke and were not going to pay us. We had been all across the United States and back in 10 days. They were going to leave us stranded in Pennsylvania. We came home.
The company never called and asked for the trailer back. They went to the police on 3 occasions, only to be told it was a civil matter. Finally, they got to an assistant DA who issued an arrest warrant on my husband based on false information.
They called our hometown police department advised them of the warrant and to pick my husbnad up and hold him. The police here did just that. He was picked up at 6pm on July 6th and on July 7th at 2am, the city police out of Tennessee arrived to pick him up, NO EXTRADITION PROCEDURES WERE FOLLOWED. HE DID NOT GET TO APPEAR BEFORE A JUDGE, HE WAS NOT READ HIS MIRANDA RIGHT BY ANY OF THE 3 DEPARTMENTS INVOLVED.
The charges were dismissed for "lack of jurisdiction", there was no crime committed in Tennessee.
These people had my husband locked up, causing great embarrassment and humiliation.
They came and got him without proper procedure, took him to another state and held him until we could find a bondsman that would take the chance to bail him out, since he was from out of state. His first court date was not until August 22nd, it was postponed for us to hire an attorney. We did not hire one, we were sure once the DA heard our story she would drop the charges. That was a joke. The decision to dissmiss the charges came on October 17th.
These people were totally negligent in doing their jobs. Not only the people in Tennessee, but also our local police department in Alabama. They should be educated on how the law is to be carried out and the rights of the citizens of our country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">