• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False charge on shop lifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ernest9776

What is the name of your state? California

My friend was shopping at Macy's Dept. Store one day. She has used the dressing to try some of the clothings. When she was going to exit the store, she was stopped by one of Macy's employee and accused for stealing. She was asked to take off the t-shirt she worn under her sweater which she worn into the store. That t-shirt was not bought from Macy's so it was not even something that Macy's carry. She was having hard time explaining the truth because of her poor English. Then she was asked to sign something and she did (I am not sure but probably an admission). The week after she received a bill from Macy's Loss Prevention Dept. for $298. (For a t-shirt!!) She has sent a check for that amount already.

Apparently Macy's dosen't have any evidence except the words of its employee. I have called the loss prevention dept. of Macy's and they can't provide me with the name of employee who accused her.

My questions:

What can I do to get the $298 and the t-shirt back?

If she has signed the admission statement, can she be still face criminal charges?

Has this happened to anyone else? I heard that some dept. stores give bonus to their employee for catching thieve. They may be tempted to accused people of stealing without sufficient evidence.

Can I sue Macy's for their misuse of the loss recovery law?

All helps are appreciated!!

stephenk

what grounds would you have to sue Macy's if it was your friend who stole the t-shirt? you have no rights in this matter.

next time your friend should not sign something she didnt understand or send a check for $298 for something she claims she didnt do.

E

ernest9776

Thanks for your response stephenk. I think my friend has learn her lesson. My question is what can she do about it this time. Any suggestion?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">