• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False ID

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cont123

What is the name of your state? CA

First background on me and why I need help. 1 and 1/2 years ago I was charged with domestic assault for getting in a fight. I am currently under 3 years of informal probation, and have been attending domestic violence classes and doing community service.

Now, I purchased a Fake California Identification with my x/gf, gf at the time for some money. I just received a letter in the mail from the California Highway Patrol saying along the lines of we know you have a fake ID if contact this investigator and your cooperation is in your best interest. So I contacted him and the first question he asked was have you purchased a fake ID. After giving myself up for domestic assault when I could have denied it and there was nothing further they could do I told him that I wasn’t going to answer that. He continued to try and make me believe that I would not be charged with any crime as long as I sent in the Fake ID, because as he says "we can’t go after 2000 kids on this list we need to find the person who makes them."

My question is what should I do, turn in my ID and hope he doesn’t press charges, but Im already on probation. And that’s giving myself up for whatever could come.
Or should I not turn it in and see what happens that way, or would more come of it.

Im just worried about having to serve jail time while I’m still in college at a University and I would need to drop out and go serve time. Any advice is helpful.

Thank you.

CdwJava

Merely being in possession of the ID is a pretty minor offense in CA. Chances are they really ARE trying to go after someone else. However, it might be in your best interest to speak to an attorney on the matter before you act on it. There may be a way that your ID can be turned over to the CHP without an admission of guilt.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">