• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false identification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chopdlivr2

I'm from PA, and I got caught using a fake id to try to bring beer into my apartment building. I just wanted to know how big a deal using a fake id is... The cop said nothing about criminal charges, but since my apartment building is right off my college campus, an officer from the school was sent. The only thing he told me was that I would be reported to the University Disciplinary Committee... someone please gimme some kind of helpful feedback, I'm worrying my butt off here

M

mobopp

call mommie and daddie, youre coming home soon.

maybe it wont be that bad, but you never know.

JETX

Who were you 'caught' by?? If only the campus police, then you probably have no criminal concern. However, if the 'real' law enforcement (not the rent-a-cop kind) caught you, you could receive a citation in person or even by mail.

Bravo8

JETX-

If it was a State U, then the Campus Police are the "real" police. They have full LE power covering all university-owned property, as well as extending 500 feet beyond their property (so they perform traffic enforcement on roads surrounding the U).

As to the original question, most you are looking at would be a summary citation......like getting a ticket.

JETX

Bravo:
Some (all?) states have programs where they claim that these campus police (school districts, university, etc.) are REAL police officers, but they really aren't. Heck, even airport police aren't real police officers.

'Real' police handle family disturbance, suspect with gun, robbery in progress, major car accident, burglary, and even hostage situations almost daily. Campus police handle speeders and an occasional burglary. When the serious stuff happens, they usually just call in the 'real' police. I have seen a lot of 'real' police get injured or even get killed while on duty. I don't think I have ever even heard of a campus police suffering those problems.

K

Kaz the Minotau

Bravo is right. State Universities in PA, and numerous private colleges, have "real police". They may not handle the types of calls that municipal police handle but they are honest to goodness, real, take you to jail, have an ORI number, issues state citations and criminal complaints police. Granted there are colleges that have "Security" or "Public Safety" that masquerade as police.
chopdlivr2: What school do you go to? If we know that then we'll be able to find out if they have police or not. I agree that it will probably just be a simple non-traffic citation.

JETX

I know that they have all the rights and responsibilities of 'real' police, but to me they will always be 'rent-a-cops'..... with good lobbyists.
:)

D

DRN

In New York State, the cops on SUNY campuses go through the same training as the State Police.

H

hmmbrdzz

chopdlivr2 said:
I'm from PA, and I got caught using a fake id to try to bring beer into my apartment building. I just wanted to know how big a deal using a fake id is... The cop said nothing about criminal charges, but since my apartment building is right off my college campus, an officer from the school was sent. The only thing he told me was that I would be reported to the University Disciplinary Committee... someone please gimme some kind of helpful feedback, I'm worrying my butt off here

=====================
If you're a student and the University cops responded and told you they were going to report you to the disciplinary committee, here's what happened to some kids I know attending UNCW (19 years old) when they were caught in a similar situation (caught drinking in the dorm and turned over to campus police). They were given a written warning from the School Disciplinary Committee. No criminal charges. I don't know if fake ID's were involved.

hmmbrdzz

M

Mike101

JETX,

I had a friend who was a "real" Police Officer at the University of Nevada. In 1997 while doing a traffic stop he was involved in a fight with a subject and killed with an axe.
I wish the college police were not "real" police because then maybe he wouldn't be "real" dead and his wife and kids would not be "real" alone.

JETX

Mike, and I can cite numerous (too many) cases where 'real' people were also killed under extreme circumstance. That doesn't make them any less than 'real' people either.

With all due respect, your example of a school PD officer being killed on duty does nothing to show that they are trained or see the extremes of duty as 'true' local, county or state police officers.

H

hmmbrdzz

You may want to search your university's site to read about the police department, the staff they employee, etc. Here's the one from UNCW on the police department there. There are "unsworn campus guards", also.

I don't know why the kids caught at UNCW drinking under age were not charged. I can only think that it has to do with the fact that if every kid on campus were criminallly charged when caught doing something illegal regards alcohol, universities would not survive.

http://www.uncwil.edu/ba/police/index.htm

L

loocpoc

JETX said:
Bravo:
Some (all?) states have programs where they claim that these campus police (school districts, university, etc.) are REAL police officers, but they really aren't. Heck, even airport police aren't real police officers.

'Real' police handle family disturbance, suspect with gun, robbery in progress, major car accident, burglary, and even hostage situations almost daily. Campus police handle speeders and an occasional burglary. When the serious stuff happens, they usually just call in the 'real' police. I have seen a lot of 'real' police get injured or even get killed while on duty. I don't think I have ever even heard of a campus police suffering those problems.
You either live in a very rural area or have no idea as to what the hell you are talking about. As a former Amtrak RR police officer I went on NUMEROUS person with gun calls, disturbances, robberies (in AND out of the train station), dealt with numerous petty calls etc., The list goes on. Also if it werent for the Airport and RR police, this nation's transportation network would be in shambles.

I have worked numerously with the University Of Pennsylvania Police (who work in West Philadelphia, one of the roughest areas in the city) and with Temple University Police (who work in North Philadelphia, another really sh*tty area) and they do much more than go after speeders and the occasional burglary/theft etc.. These guys go on hot calls (we share a police band in Philly in which hot and assist calls go out on) backed the city police, had officers injured and killed.

In California, the U Cal and Cal State police are state employees and have MORE authority than the California Highway Patrol since they are not regulated to just patrolling the highways and catching speeders.

In Pa. the sheriff of each of the 67 counties holds no real law enforcement authority (Bravo/Kaz, you guys can jump in on this). His main job by PA statute is enforcement of civil process and the security of Common Pleas court and the transportation of prisoners to court. Thats it. No police patrol as the unincoporated areas are handled by the state police.

Just because we dont police in the "traditional" ways doesnt mean we are not real police officers. We have the same if not more police authority than most local or county police law enforcement agencies and to some extents more authority than the state police/highway patrol etc..

JETX

Yeah, right!!
Spoken like a true 'dime-store' cop wanting to be a real one when you grow up.
Geeeeee, a cop on a railroad. Pretty easy to find the bad guy, huh?? All you have to do is follow the tracks!!! :)

L

loocpoc

JETX said:
Yeah, right!!
Spoken like a true 'dime-store' cop wanting to be a real one when you grow up.
Geeeeee, a cop on a railroad. Pretty easy to find the bad guy, huh?? All you have to do is follow the tracks!!! :)
Its better than being a bail bondsman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">