• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Name Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pculp

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I am trying to find out if it is illegal for a person to use someone elses last name and pass their self off as an xspouse. My friends son use to go with a woman who is now using his last name and passing herself off as his x wife when they have never been married. She has went to his former job and gotten his pay check by doing this and then cashed it and used it to pay her bills. We also found out she had an old powe. Can someone just take your last name without your permission? She also has his SS number and ran up a bunch of bills in his name that he did not know about. Is there any way to legally stop this woman from doing this she has done alot of other things to most recently she files his taxes she apparently changed his address so his mail would go to her house and went down and filed his taxes and was going to use the money to pay her bills but she made the mistake of telling my friend she had done this and my friend called to the tax place and did get her sons tax check but now this woman is planning on sueing my friend because she went down and got her sons tax check before this woman got hold of it and stole the money. I am not sure what this type crime falls under but am trying to find out so my friends son can try to get an attorney to stop this woman from using his last name
Thanks
Pamm

skyy

identity theft

I've never looked into what giving yourself a new name illegally is called, but using his personal ssn and other info is identity theft.

It's going to take a lot of legwork on his part. He'll need to contact all 3 credit bureaus and figure out what his charges are and what he didn't open. (plenty of id theft sites with info like the FTC in D.C. They'll mail you free pamphlets) Look into the fraud dept and ask how to go about getting false charges removed and how to press charges. Among other ways to prevent more theft, have them put a fraud alert on the credit reports and ask they contact him at home before opening any new accounts. Request id theft prevention pamphlets.

Take care

Souix

pculp said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
I am trying to find out if it is illegal for a person to use someone elses last name and pass their self off as an xspouse. My friends son use to go with a woman who is now using his last name and passing herself off as his x wife when they have never been married. She has went to his former job and gotten his pay check by doing this and then cashed it and used it to pay her bills. We also found out she had an old powe. Can someone just take your last name without your permission? She also has his SS number and ran up a bunch of bills in his name that he did not know about. Is there any way to legally stop this woman from doing this she has done alot of other things to most recently she files his taxes she apparently changed his address so his mail would go to her house and went down and filed his taxes and was going to use the money to pay her bills but she made the mistake of telling my friend she had done this and my friend called to the tax place and did get her sons tax check but now this woman is planning on sueing my friend because she went down and got her sons tax check before this woman got hold of it and stole the money. I am not sure what this type crime falls under but am trying to find out so my friends son can try to get an attorney to stop this woman from using his last name
Thanks
Pamm

My Answer: I had my identity stolen a couple of years ago and I can tell you that he needs to file a police report right NOW. He'll need to bring all the bills she created to the police department and any other documentation she has done that would be considered fraud against him. If he knows where she is the police can arrest her, I'm pretty sure this will stop her from further damaging his credit. As Skyy said, there are a ton of internet sites that can help him with what to do about this. It takes time and its a hassle. Get the credit report now, call the police, call the bank, call social security and do everything they tell him to do. At least he knows who has done this, I did not. Good Luck!

D

DRN

Not only get a credit report, report the identity theft to the three major credit reporting companies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">