• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SarahMee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I just had the police show up at my door, plain clothes, nice as can be, informing me that my name and my boyfriends name were used in a police report claiming that we harrassed the person filing the report. This happened on Facebook, I sent a message to someone I thought was a friend and was listed as a facebook friend when I sent the message, it said, "You need to give (insert name) back his (insert item)."

I was informed by the police "Stay away from (insert name)". So the police come to my home, telling me that I need to now avoid this person based on a false police report. This is absurd.

So, is this true, can anyone just go to the police department and file a report on anyone for anything they want to? Isn't that a fraudulent report?

Do I have any recourse here?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I just had the police show up at my door, plain clothes, nice as can be, informing me that my name and my boyfriends name were used in a police report claiming that we harrassed the person filing the report. This happened on Facebook, I sent a message to someone I thought was a friend and was listed as a facebook friend when I sent the message, it said, "You need to give (insert name) back his (insert item)."

I was informed by the police "Stay away from (insert name)". So the police come to my home, telling me that I need to now avoid this person based on a false police report. This is absurd.

So, is this true, can anyone just go to the police department and file a report on anyone for anything they want to? Isn't that a fraudulent report?

Do I have any recourse here?
What's false?

SarahMee

Where are the professionals on this forum?

Mind boggling...

<extract Zigner>
I'm not quite sure where all of you are coming from here. This is literally a serious question.

This girl is not the ex of my boyfriend.

This was someone I thought was a friend, only to find out that she obviously was not a friend.

I told her she needed to give something back to someone we both know, that was it, nothing more. The last conversation I had with her was to take care of herself and her DIEING boyfriend and if she needed anything to just let me know.

I am not privy to any of the intimate details of their relationship or what happened between them.

All I know is that I sent her the message, she was a friend on Facebook so I just let her know that she needed to give the item back.

She filed a police report stating that I was harrassing her.

I didn't know that you could just file a random police report for anything you want to and that it's considered legit. I mean heck, I guess I could just fly off the handle because of the posts here and file a report against all of you too then.

Are there any professionals here or is this forum a joke board?

Silverplum

The report, she's claiming harrassment. I never harrassed her.
Your view conflicts with hers. She will be protected, you will obey the do-not-harass order.

SarahMee said:
So instead of what's false, how about what part of "you need to give ... back to ... " is harassment?
Her perception, which is enough.

Move on.

SarahMee

You could simply leave (insert name) alone :rolleyes:

I have left them alone, LOL. You're funny. I find it amazing that you take pride in making other people who have serious questions, who are not lawyers, and making fun of situations that they feel are serious and have concerns over.

How does it make you FEEL good to roll your eyes at someone who has a serious question?

SarahMee

Your view conflicts with hers. She will be protected, you will obey the do-not-harass order.

Her perception, which is enough.

Move on.
Thank you. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

I had not thought of "Perception". Again, I thank you for your time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">