• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Police Report Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethaknee87

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My boyfriend was injured at work. A customer backed into him and injured his left knee while he was helping the customer load mulch. There were no cameras on that side of the building nor were there any witnesses.

The gentleman came to the ER and apologized to me and said the phrase "I asked him if he was going to be okay, and he said he thought so just that it would be sore the next day. I didn't know it was this bad."

My boyfriend's mother called the police to the ER. He was under the influence of prescribed narcotics at the time his mother wrote out the statement and the officer had my boyfriend sign it.

Two weeks ago the officer came to my house and threatened my boyfriend that if there was video documentation of him not limping inside the store after the accident, he was arresting him for filing a false police report. He told my boyfriend to change his statement. He said (in front of me) that he didn't care how he hurt his knee, that he was there to protect the man, not him. And apparently now the man says he didn't back into him.

3 nights ago, the police officer came and arrested my boyfriend for this Class D felony with a $5000 bond.

If my boyfriend is found guilty, what is the maximum penalty in the state of Tennessee?

If he is by some miracle found not guilty, will the gentleman that backed into him face any charges?

irridum

First of all I am not a lawyer however I have spent several years as the director safety & loss control for medical & industrial facilities which means I have dealt with many injured staff members and conducted the company injury investigations. I have also been injured on the job more than once.

Your boyfriend needs to retain a lawyer and if any other persons contact him regarding the incident he needs to record the entire conversation. Preferably he should only speak with law enforcement in the presence of his attorny.

Many injuries especialy soft tissue and joint injuries may take several hours or more to begin to swell and some injuries do not even become fully painfull untill the nerves re awaken from the trauma.

The officer was very irresponsible in his statements and infers that he can diagnose a persons condition simply by veiwing a few seconds of video. Your boyfriends health care provider and hospital records are key items in proving or disproving his injury & the probable cause of the injury, plausibility of the statement and other factors. Wether or not he followed his companies injury reporting policy is also another factor.

This is no doubt one for the lawyers to fight out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">