• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

insanesmooch

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a typical punishment for filing a false police report. An in-law of my husband's filed a false report saying she was raped, but she was covering up an affair. We don't really understand why she drug it out that far; her husband would have never found out about the affair had she not filed the report. Basically, the neighbors ratted on her. Even when she filed the report, she gave wrong details (her boyfriend is black, but she apparently gave some other description of the fantom rapist). When police confronted her, she admitted it. For some reason, she and her husband are dragging this out through court.
We (my husband and I) are just curious if there is a typical punishment because this involves his son. His son is playing his sympathy card to the max (it will be a year come Feb.) and acts like he doesn't know what is going on in the case. Though he tries to say she could be 6 years in prison for it, but that seems excessive.
Thanks for any info anyone may be able to provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">