• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false reporting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe0187

Indiana is where I live. I caught my girlfriend cheating in emails. I contacted him 3 time consecutively on one day explaing I wanted him to tell his wife or maybe I should send the emails to here. I received a protective order this evening stating I was stalking him and that I had abused or tortured an animal to hurt him or his family. This is all untrue. What criminal options do I have for false reporting or civil options for libel?

Proserpina

Indiana is where I live. I caught my girlfriend cheating in emails. I contacted him 3 time consecutively on one day explaing I wanted him to tell his wife or maybe I should send the emails to here. I received a protective order this evening stating I was stalking him and that I had abused or tortured an animal to hurt him or his family. This is all untrue. What criminal options do I have for false reporting or civil options for libel?

I strongly doubt you have a case for anything here.

Stop contacting him. Leave his wife alone.

Move on with your life.

joe0187

Problem is they play on the same pool team which I go to watch. We are working through it. We both play on a pool league. 2 memebers from their team play on the same team as I do. I'm worried this could lead to issues as it is a smaller town. Trying to avoid future problems and still keep our life. I sent the messages the same day I found out and no further contact was made.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Problem is they play on the same pool team which I go to watch. We are working through it. We both play on a pool league. 2 memebers from their team play on the same team. I'm worried this could lead to issues as it is a smaller frown. Trying to avoid future problems and still keep our life. I sent the messages the same day I found out and no further contact was made.

So let it go.

You have no tangible damages and even if your state does recognize defamation per se, filing a restraining order in this manner doesn't come close.

You have no case here.

dave33

I am not sure about Indiana, but here goes. In most states if a protective is sought, than the defendant will be informed and you can argue the merits of whatever the person is claiming. When charged, usually an order is automatically ordered. What is your situation? Criminal charges? Were you informed by the court that he was asking for the protective order before it was official?

joe0187

I am not sure about Indiana, but here goes. In most states if a protective is sought, than the defendant will be informed and you can argue the merits of whatever the person is claiming. When charged, usually an order is automatically ordered. What is your situation? Criminal charges? Were you informed by the court that he was asking for the protective order before it was official?
I guess the papers last night were them informing me. No charges. I got his number from girlfriends phone. I was not informed about anything from the court. But it is now a public record of these false allegations.

LdiJ

I guess the papers last night were them informing me. No charges. I got his number from girlfriends phone. I was not informed about anything from the court. But it is now a public record of these false allegations.
One of the allegations was not false. You did basically stalk him and threaten. You could have simply never called him in the first place, and therefore never started the drama.

When you start drama...stuff happens.

CdwJava

When you go to court you present your argument as to why the order need not be issued. They will present their argument why it should.

It might be foolish for this other guy because the record of his actions with your wife will now come to the fore so if he was trying to keep his wife from finding out what he was up to, he just failed miserably.

Leave the guy and his wife alone, break up with your girlfriend, and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">